Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

how do I get rid of question on boot/start

• Please log in to reply

crunch

crunch

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
:whistling: 2 sons! one likes ME other likes XP. XP kid added XP to brother's ME. Then had daul OS and choice at startup. ME kid did not like that, so XP kid removed XP from it. Now it still asks every time you turn it on, "which system to use, XP or Windows" If you select XP you get message that files are missing. if you select ME you get ME and a happy son. But he wants the question gone and back like it was before XP brother messed with it. (just turn it on and have ME) cause if you don't select, it tries XP then locks up. So you can't push the on button then go get a snack and come back to your PC ready to play. Please help me get rid of whatever is left of other OS that is being detected or needs changed. Thank You!!! :blink: There could be a war break out real soon if "XP" doesn't go away.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi crunch...

What's happened is XP has written new instructions to the boot sector...we need to undo this. You will need a WinME Startup disk (floppy) to accomplish this. To make a startup disk for ME, open Control Panel, open Add/Remove Programs, click the Startup Disk tab, and click the Create Disk button. You will need 1 formatted floppy diskette for this.

Boot the machine up with the Startup Disk in the floppy drive. At the Options screen, press Shift + F5 to go to Command Prompt. Once at command prompt (A:\), type c: and press "Enter". At the C:\ prompt, type sys c: and press "Enter". This will write a new boot sector to the drive overwriting the XP boot sector. Remove the floppy and reboot.

This procedure will usually not effect the data on the drive, but hey...it's Microsoft...back it up!

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 26 September 2006 - 02:38 PM.

crunch

crunch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
:whistling: Thank you!!!
Why don't you just move in with us, you could sure save us (me) alot of headache, and even prevent a few wars. That fixed the daul operating system question. Now it has another problem but I'll save it for when I feel up to the flustration again. It likes to lock up after post a third of the time, then says it didn't start properly last time and offers safe mode but only works half of that third of the time, and the other third of the times you turn it on it just starts up says ME and goes right to the desktop like nothing is wrong and then works fine. One out of three starts ain't BAD! otta write a song about these computers :blink: