Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer running very slowly

• Please log in to reply

MorningRayn

MorningRayn

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi, I posted a thread in the malware section, but couldn't get an answer, so at this point I'm going to assume that the problem with my computer isn't some sort of malware, but hardware.

So when I open up the task manager, it says the "system" process (Image Name: System | User Name: SYSTEM | CPU: 30-50% | Mem Usage: 236k ) is ALWAYS using up 30-50% of my process speed. It's like that as soon as I turn my computer on and I just recently restored my computer to how it arrived at my house. (I used a restore CD called "Alienware Respawn" -- but I think it's actually Norton Ghost or something.)

Does this mean there's a problem with the hard drive or the processor or something (or is it somehow possible for some malware to linger through a restore)? What should I do / replace to fix this problem? If it is a problem with the hard drive, can reformatting possibly fix it?

EDIT: Also, just a little note, my computer is relatively new. It's less than half a year old.

Edited by MorningRayn, 26 September 2006 - 02:22 PM.

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. How long ago did you post in the malware section?

MorningRayn

MorningRayn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Uhm, I posted the thread on September 23rd. I got one response that same day and nothing else since.

Here's that thread:
http://www.geekstogo...ly-t131574.html

I guess I neglected to mention that I've also run some virus scanners and stuff and they've found nothing so I'm leaning more towards its being a hardware problem. I just feel like it's suspicious because it started happening ever since I installed a program and becauase my computer is relatively new.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Well, if you don't hear back by tomorrow, please post here: http://www.geekstogo..._Room-f100.html and remind everyone. Someone will be with you shortly. We get so many logfiles that need checking daily, they get overloaded up there.

MorningRayn

MorningRayn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Alright. Thank you! ^_^

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Sure. Let us know what happens as well so we can continue to assist you :whistling: