Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unmountable Boot Volume problem

• Please log in to reply

james12

james12

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

I recently had a new hard drive installed. When I run the recovery/restore CDs and windows XP, everything runs fine until I need to reboot. When I reboot, I get the Unmountable Boot Volume error.

I tried booting from the Windows XP CD and running the recovery tool, but it is of no use. Any type of CHKDSK or fixboot command brings up another error. When I try to run one of these commands, it says that "this volume has more than one unrecoverable error."

After booting from the windows XP CD, I once tried the setup option rather than recovery. Windows would boot, but all the programs found in the systems restore/recovery CD would be missing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by james12, 27 September 2006 - 05:27 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Send the hard drive back for a replacement if it is under warranty, as a new drive should not be flagging up any unrecoverable errors for want of a reboot.

james12

james12

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
This is actually the second hard drive as they gave me the wrong one by accident. The first one was a 200GB Seagate which I had for a few days. I now have a 250GB western digital hard drive. I have the same problem with both HDDs.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Hi James12,

Since this is the second drive with the same symptoms I would start testing the other components starting with the RAM. Memtest86 is a good app and I have found it reliable and a six to twelve hours of moving bits in and out of memory can tell you a lot. The Ultimate Boot CD has a lot of nice utilities for various other tests.It includes a Prime test for for CPU burn in testing that can give you a good idea if the CPU is faulty.

Edited by silverbeard, 27 September 2006 - 06:41 PM.

valis

valis

• PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
had the identical problem in a clients brand new hp dc2700.....turned out to be bad ram, but took us a while to figure that out. They shipped it with twin 256 sticks, popped one out, no more errors. Switched them, 'unrecoverable errors' showed up. Called up hp and had them replace the stick, and it's been smooth ever since.

long story short, start swapping out ram sticks until the problem goes away, then replace the bad one(s). Basically what Silverbeard said.