Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Laptop and a Wired Network!

• Please log in to reply

Justin

Justin

I do a little bit of everything

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
Hi,

I just got a new laptop with a Wireless Network card in it. The rest of my house is on a wried network with a router that does not support wireless. My computer and laptop are in a different room, and I want to try to avoid running more cables into my room for my laptop. Is there anything I can do to get my wireless laptop connected to the internet without buying a new router?

Thanks!

Advertisements

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Hello Jfcap and welcome to GeeksToGo,

Sure you can add you wireless laptop to the network with out buying a new router. What you will need is to buy a Wireless Access Point. Many compines make these, I use Linksys hardware and have nevered had a problem. This link, is the product information for a AP by Linksys. Head over to Newegg and look for the prices of differnet ones. Hope that this helps.

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Also, which everone you buy configure it(Enable some kind of Ency., Disable the SSID, and filter the MAC address(if the router supports it)). If you need help with this, then post or PM me when you are ready. Hope that this helps.

Justin

Justin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
Hiya....Thanks for the info,

Im wondering if it would just be cheaper to buy a Wireless-G Broadband Router, 802.11g,b from linksys, since it will act as a wireless AP for my laptop, and still allow me to hook up my wired network. Are there any disadvantages to this, or is buying the AP you listed above the best solution?

Thanks!

Justin

Justin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
Hi again,
Im still looking at different hardware....what about a Wireless-G USB Network Adapter, 802.11g from linksys? would that work as well?

Thanks again =)

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Yes, you could just buy a Wireless G Router to replace the current router. Would it be cheaper, it depends were you buying the router. I have the Linksys WRT54G Router and love it because it has WAP. But you need to make sure that all the wireless devices can support WAP. WAP is a more secure the WEP. What would the Wireless G USB Adapter before the Desktop or Laptop. Hope that this helps.

Justin

Justin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
Thanks for the help. I ended up just getting the Wireless Router. Wow, Bestbuy charges a fortune....Its better to wait a few days to get it cheaper I guess =).

Thanks again

Robertt253

Robertt253

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Always check out EBAY before buing from a retail store.

Bob