Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

VNC Viewer 4?

• Please log in to reply

C01DB100D

C01DB100D

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Well, my friend and I have been trying to work together on stuff lately, but it's really hard to work together when we're on seperate sides of the state!

So I found VNC and we both have it downloaded, pretty sure we're running servers. I just don't know how to make it so I can watch his screen...

Can I get some help here? Please?

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
first both of you need to be running the same version (this is so that my instructions work better)

RealVNC and TightVNC are the two most popular versions. I personally recomend TightVNC. You need to fully install vnc making sure you run service at startup (installation option). Viewer is just for viewing a vnc server. one of you has to be running server and the other can be running the viewer.

You will need to know the ip of the other users system in order to remote to it.

if either of your are running a router then you will need to pick a port to use in VNC and then foward that to your pc.

launch vnc server. set password.

Leave display as auto. select the radio button for ports and then set the ports you want to use. click ok. make sure server is running by either seeing the system tray icon or by going into services.msc and starting vnc service.

let me know if this works.

Edited by starjax, 28 September 2006 - 09:20 PM.

C01DB100D

C01DB100D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Okay, I can make a server. I just don't know to how like...start viewing his screen. Do I like type in his I.P. somewhere? Or does he type in mine? What?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
once you have his ip, then just launch the vnc viewer, enter the ip and wait for it to connect.