Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Complete Removal of Icons in Systray

• Please log in to reply

Denisejm

Denisejm

• PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
I want to permanently remove icons from my system tray, not just hide them, and I don't want to delete the programs. The icons/programs do not have an option to not place an icon in the systray.

I also don't want to uncheck the programs in msconfig startup.

Is there another way to remove the icons?

Denise

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Denisejm...

Right click on the "Start" button and choose "Properties". Click the "Taskbar" tab, untick the "Hide Inactive Icons" checkbox, and then click the "Customize" button at the bottom.

Choose the behavior you want for each of the listed icons and click "Ok"..."Apply" the changes.

Is this what you were after?

wannabe1

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Hi wannabe. Thanks for responding.

The procedure you gave me will only hide the icons, not remove them. Programs such as Media Player, Ad-Aware, Microsoft Word, etc, don't have icons in my systray. Some program have icons in my systray but I want to remove the icons and use them "on demand," like the above-mentioned programs.

Some programs give the option as to whether you want an icon in the systray or desktop during installation. These programs didn't give me that option at installation nor do they give me the option to remove the icon from the systray now.

Denise

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Click Start, then Run, type regedit and click "Ok".

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_CURRENT_USER, then Software, then Microsoft, then Windows, then CurrentVersion, then Policies, and click on Explorer.

Right-click an empty space in the right pane and select New, then DWORD Value. Name the new value NoTrayItemsDisplay

Double-click the value NoTrayItemsDisplay and change the Value data to 1. Close Registry Editor.

Log off, or restart Windows for the changes to take effect. This will remove everything from the notification area except the clock.

To reverse, change the value of NoTrayItemsDisplay to 0, or delete it.

Edited by wannabe1, 26 September 2006 - 09:46 PM.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
I want to remove only a few icons from my systray, not all of them. Is there a middle ground or is it all or none?

Denise

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Try "Startup Control Panel", a free utility from here:http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

You will need to know which startup item relates to which icon in the systray, as Startup Control Panel lists all the startup items, even those which don't use the systray. It allows you to either disable or permanently remove any of them individually.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Ok, thanks . . . I'll give it a shot :whistling: