Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Changeing/Formatting my C drive, and makeing it an H drive..

• Please log in to reply

im_in_need101

im_in_need101

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I have Windows XP, it came preloaded on my computer. It's "Microsoft Windows XP Version 2002, Service Pack 2", made by Compaq.

I recieved a computer form a friend, and it's power port area was messed up, so I just scraped it. It was Windows 2000 I believe (possibly ME, not 100% sure)But well, it's drive letter is C:, and my XP drive letter is C:. I need to change the 2000 drive's letter to H (A & B are reserved for floppy drives, C is my main hard drive, D is it's partitioned drive for system restore stuff, E is my cd-rw, and F is my dvd-rom drive), and it needs formatted so it can act as extra memory for my XP. But, my XP disc didn't work in it, and since the other computer was scapped, I have to disconnect my C drive and connect the other, so it'll work. If they're both hooked up at the same time, then it doesn't read either because it reads that there is 2 C drives.

So basically, I need a way to change one of their letters (without loosing any of my file for my XP C drive) so they're compatible with eachother.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello im_in_need101...

Sounds like you need to set the jumpers on the "soon to be storage" drive to the Slave position and connect it to the center position on one of the IDE ribbons on your machine. Once you start up, the drive should be detected as a slave, have a letter assigned automatically, and be visible in Disk Management where you can format it or add partitions to it as you desire.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 26 September 2006 - 10:05 PM.

im_in_need101

im_in_need101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Sweet, nevermind. I did enough research and everything's working fine now (:
thanks for the help, so much!

---
The jumpers? Could you provide me a picture, or good discription of these? I haven't the slightest clue what there are. ):

P.S.

It's a Maxtor HDD (like the one in my computer), and on it it says
| Jumper J50 | Master /Single: On | Slave: Off |

and also

| Model: 32049H2 | HDA: 02a | PCBA: 03A | Unique: 11A | Code: YAH814Y0 |

P.P.S.
Ok, I tried to savvy-up a bit on the jumper things, and now the question is, do I set it as a Slave with CLJ, or a Slave without?

Edited by im_in_need101, 01 October 2006 - 03:52 PM.