Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

not latest xp update causing harm to a comp?

• Please log in to reply

Icculus

Icculus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
so i did the scannow, restarted, reinstalled and changed the settings on my router.

also i updated the firmware on the router.

now i cant connect to the setup for the router (192.168.2.1)

and my laptop wont connect to it, but im not worried about that yet

no improvements, still times out

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
192.168.0.1 ?

Not 2

Icculus

Icculus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
thats the ip for my router setup, both of the ips time out

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you asked the ISP

If the laptop connects through the desktop is the firewall set correctly

Does the router have a firewall

Icculus

Icculus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Just got off the phone with comcast.

They told me to reset the modem and the router, obviously didnt work. Then they told me to call Belkin and to have a nice day

The laptop connects through the router, and the router wireless is working great, but the WAN has no connectivity for my pc. I should be able to resolve the WAN though.

The router firewall was disabled, but now I do not know since I restored factory settings on the config and cannot access the config.

I can access the iTunes music store on my laptop, not on my desktop.

This is very bazaar.

EDIT:

Now im getting quite frustrated, the ethernet connection doesnt work on either of my computers, but the wireless works great on my laptop, with the exception of accesing the 192.--- router config

EDIT2:

So i connected my computer directly to the modem, can connect to the internet. Still no iTunes or Rhapsody or anything, so thats not a router problem and comcast doesnt know anything... maybe my motorola surfboard?

Edited by Icculus, 01 October 2006 - 10:24 PM.

Icculus

Icculus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Figured it out!!!

When the comcast lady came to juice up my house for cable/internet, she was messin around on my computer setting up my internet. I asked her to stop because I was supposed to install it, but she said she could knock off the price, so I said fine.

Of course she set up the net to run on a proxy which somehow did not allow access to those ports (or programs or something)

Im calling comcast right now to complain.

EDIT:

BTW Keith, thanks a lot fot the help, comcast support is just a bunch of idiots who are programmed to say "okay unplug your modem and router..." and they should have realized that its stupid to set up a proxy in my type of situation.

Very upset...

Edited by Icculus, 16 October 2006 - 11:52 PM.