Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Failed Email Test, Terrible Tech Support

• Please log in to reply

jimmie123

jimmie123

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Recently, I cancelled my Mcafee AV in favor of Trend-Micr's Fix It Utilities 6 Professional. I'm beginning to wonder if this was a wise choice. I did an email test offered by a site with no product to sell. Therefore a "failure" of any of the tests offered was in no way advantageous to the site. The link to this site is:
http://www.jasons-to...rowserSecurity/ There is an email test that sends a supposedly infected .VBS file to see if your system will allow you to open it. Trend Micro's AV failed, and allowed me to open this attachment. I contacted their support people regarding this, and was treated so rudely that I'm really considering just dropping them. The tech used phrases like "This supposed so-called test", "I doubt that theres even a problem to fix", etc. If somehow I've uncovered a hole in their software, I'm sorry, but in the meantime, my email scanning protection seems to be flawed.
BTW, the above link has some other browser tests that seem to be OK. It's free, lol

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Jimmie123
What email program do you use. What internet browser do you use.
As for the .VBS file it is not a known virus so it will fail on anti virus software.
They only detect a virus that has been written not a file that is a script.
If you use Outlookexpress then click on tools>options>security.
Check the box Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus. also above this click restricted site zones.click apply click ok then close outlook express and reopen it.
Then rerun your script
Cheers
peterm

jimmie123

jimmie123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi, I'm using Yahoo for my email, and Internet Explorer. The tech from Trend Micro did write and apologise, maybe he was having a bad day or something, lol. I guess I've had them too. I never open anything with an unknown (to me) file extension, so hopefully this won't be a problem. Thanks for the reply. :whistling: