Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

clock losing time

• Please log in to reply

candi735

candi735

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
i keep my computer on 24/7 and i have been noticing that the last the last week or so my clock down in the tray has been losing time...a few mins an hour.
i have been told to go to date and tine properties and synchronize with an internet time server.
but i dont remember to do this all the time...and can become a pain to do...
is there an easier way to fix this problem?
thanks

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
A little rant here first. I use to keep computers on 24/7 also. Did this for many years. The problem with doing that is windows does not refresh itself that way. Windows really does not use memory nearly as good as other OS software like Linux, so it need refreshing pretty often. Second a idle computer is doing nothing but wasting electricity and heating up the room. I now shut my computers off when i am away from them for more than 4 hours.

You may need to change the motherboard battery on your computer. It probably is not the problem but it could be.

If nothing else you can try this software. Caveat emptor here as i have not used it.

http://www.thinkman.com/dimension4/

SRX660

candi735

candi735

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
thanks for the info and help!!

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The system clock is much less accurate than any other standard clock you might find on a wall. Every clock that is marked as having a Quartz movement is only accurate to within a few minutes a year (but as in most countries we alter them twice a year anyway we tend not to notice it).

Some programs interfere so much with Windows to a point where it can't keep real-time information updated. The actual time might be right but Windows thinks its a few minutes out as it's unable to update the clock. Remember Windows feeds the time back to the main board at shutdown so the battery on the board can keep it right when the system is switched off. This is on a par with Quartz movement but with a wider error margin, and is defeated anyway when the battery dies.