Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

the wierdest thing

• Please log in to reply

dormage

dormage

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
This topic im posting not because i hate to give away my old comp,but because it remaind a mistery,
i got it long ago from a friend and never got the time to check it out
it is a pentium 600Mhz 128 ram and stuff like taht so i taught i could run a server on it.
However when i turned it on the nighitmare begone!!!!
ok
it appeares that linux were instald on it years ago
but deleted as well,but not all was lost
somehow there is still sthing on that computer
now im gona tell you some weird things like :

if i remuve the ram it still runs and then starts asking for a system disc!
if i change the ram it wount turn on the screen!
it only works with original ram that was in!
i remuved the whole disc just for fun but it was still reading some things and then again asking for a system disc!
so i gave him the system disc and the windows instalation started but didnt go far,the comp froze on the begining!
tryed a nother system disc and a nother cd,but still no luck

any ideas im willing to try anything even if i kill the [bleep]!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :blink: :whistling:

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

1 if i remuve the ram it still runs and then starts asking for a system disc!
2 if i change the ram it wount turn on the screen!
3 it only works with original ram that was in!
4 i remuved the whole disc just for fun but it was still reading some things and then again asking for a system disc!
5 so i gave him the system disc and the windows instalation started but didnt go far,the comp froze on the begining!
tryed a nother system disc and a nother cd,but still no luck

1) Not possible, it needs memory before it'll work.
2) Doesn't like the new memory.
3) Fussy board. Most from this era often were fussy.
4) It will do, as the system will attempt to boot from anything it can find regardless of what's actually plugged in or not.
5) Motherboard problem, hard drive problem or some other hardware problem on the system.

dormage

dormage

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
I taught something like this will happen
people saying its inposible,but i wrote its a miricle and if you dont belive dont worite
no offence but im not stupid,i know it needs memmory but the funny thing is i unplugd evrything and he was still working and asking for the system disc.
its weird it like he is reading information from somewhere else but i dont know where,it aint ram,disc,rom
i tried evrything!!!!!

so any ideas????
there are probably probkems with the motherboard but before i kill the comp im justy asking if there is any ideas regarding this weird situation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
All a BIOS is intended to do is initialise everything and then try to load Windows or Linux or Unix or any other Operating System it can find from any device it can find. It doesn't matter if the drives are connected or not, it's still going to try and load something.

I might have other suggestions but if you're going to be rude and flippant, then I'm not going to help you beyond the pointers I've already posted.

dormage

dormage

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
ok!
i know bios will try to loead but it sometimes actualy loads something like a bookmark or something,i dont reqaly know but my friend told me its whats left from linux
but it dosent show that if i unploug the ram so i gues his reading it from the ram.
im sorry i was rude! just a ba day!!!!!