Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

transfering data from old computer to new?

• Please log in to reply

Soadgirl

Soadgirl

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Forgive me, I do not know much about computers; I hope I do not sound to stupid in this post. Anyways, I spilled water in my computer (Mac OSX) about 3 months ago. It will not turn on since this happened, and I assume it is destroyed. I have a lot of programs on there that I want to get to without having to pay for them again and a lot of other documents that I need. My question is, is there any way to transfer information from this computer to another computer? If I bought another Mac, could I transfer all of the programs and documents some how? :whistling:

Thanks for any help

Edited by Soadgirl, 27 September 2006 - 05:38 PM.

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Forgive me, I do not know much about computers; I hope I do not sound to stupid in this post. Anyways, I spilled water in my computer (Mac OSX) about 3 months ago. It will not turn on since this happened, and I assume it is destroyed. I have a lot of programs on there that I want to get to without having to pay for them again and a lot of other documents that I need. My question is, is there any way to transfer information from this computer to another computer? If I bought another Mac, could I transfer all of the programs and documents some how? :whistling:

Thanks for any help

first off I'm not familiar with Mac..... in general however you cannot transfer programs you can only transfer data.... However it's possible you could transfer the entire drive to a new computer..... Again though I dont' know enough about macs to know if that would work for sure.... with windows xp that is not something you can do....

Soadgirl

Soadgirl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for your help!

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

My question is, is there any way to transfer information from this computer to another computer?

In theory, yes. Data files, most probably. yes.

If I bought another Mac, could I transfer all of the programs and documents some how? :whistling:

It can be done, you can download a program similiar to Norton Ghost for a Mac platform. Probably not cheap though.