Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Realtek RTL8139 Family Fast Ethernet NIC stopped working.

• Please log in to reply

Basic123s

Basic123s

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My NIC Card *The one on the topic title* stopped functioning a few days ago. I used Device Manager and it said that there wasn't enough resources for the card to use.

Now it says......

"The device cannot start (Code 10)".

Can someone help me fix this? Oh and BTW I have another NIC card. I also recently installed a game controller.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. This from M$:
Code 10
If the device has a "FailReasonString" value in its hardware key, that string is displayed as the error message. The driver or enumerator places this registry string value there. If there is no "FailReasonString" in the hardware key, the following generic error message is displayed:

This device is either not present, not working properly, or does not have all the drivers installed. (Code 10)

Try upgrading the device drivers for this device.

Solution button: Update Driver

To resolve this error code, make sure the device is connected to the computer correctly. For example, make sure all cables are plugged in fully and that all adapter cards are properly seated. Follow the suggested solution button and update the device driver. It may be possible to remove the device and redetect it using the Add New Hardware wizard.

Basic123s

Basic123s

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I tried updating the driver. It was successful but it's now giving me "Code 12" now. I don't even know what resources the NIC is using. :whistling:

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Take a look at this over at M$: http://support.micro...kb/125174/en-us

Basic123s

Basic123s

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
" This device cannot find any free <type> resources to use. (Code 12)

If you want to use this device, you must disable another device that is using the resources this device needs. To do this, click Hardware Troubleshooter and follow the instructions in the wizard."

When I press the "Resource" tab on the device property page, it doesn't show any conflicting devices or resources that are being used whatnot.