Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

A+,MCSE,MCSA Questions?

• Please log in to reply

racinmason001

racinmason001

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
I have been studying for my CompTIA A+ hardware certification for about a month now and according to my class layout I'm ready for my first half of the cert test, But I don't feel that I know enough is there anyone out there that has got the A+ cert. and how long did it take you? I also have a question about MCSE, MCSA, CCNA, Linux+, Networking+, & Security+. How long do these courses take to finish? Were they hard? I'm mainly worried about the MCSE, MCSA. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Pseudopath

Pseudopath

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Hi racinmason001,

I passed my A+ a few weeks ago and I'll say this, it's better to take the exam when you're comfortable and pass nicely rather than when your told to and scrape through! I studied for mine for over 6 months and when I took the exams was rather pleased with my results (I do work in IT so did have a headstart too). There's knowledge and skills that you should know as an A+ certified professional that might not be tested in the exams and if you don't know it when you're in the field helping a customer you could end up looking quite bad...

Hope that helps.

- Pseudopath.

racinmason001

racinmason001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
I have been told by my instructor that I'm ready because I have been scoring 80% or better on my practice exams but when it comes to IRQ's, DMA's, and I/O adresses I feel as if I am still in the dark. Are they on the exam? If not what kind of questions are? Thanks a million!

Pseudopath

Pseudopath

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
I'm sorry but I can't talk specifics about the exam.
As I said though it's better to be over prepared than under.
The things you mentioned IRQs etc. are things you should know without the exam so memorise them anyway!

You should only take the exams if you're confident you're ready.

The pass mark is approximately 500 out of a possible 900 but it's ALWAYS better to get 100% or as close to as possible.

Sorry I can't be more help.

- Pseudopath.

racinmason001

racinmason001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
Wow do they make you promise not to speak about the exam? You have been a great help! Thank you for the info!

Pseudopath

Pseudopath

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Wow do they make you promise not to speak about the exam? You have been a great help! Thank you for the info!

Yeah, there is a confidentiality agreement before you do the exams.

I can't stress enough the fact that the exam is not what you should be looking to study for, you should know the entire syllabus because by using the title "A+ certified" you are indicating that you know most, if not all, of it and not that you've passed some exams... Remember if you're asked a question in real life by a customer or a propective employer and you don't know... well you get my point. Know it all, know it well, know it backwards. No one is ever considered to be bad or silly for knowing too much.

I don't mean to lecture but I do feel that sometimes people miss the point of IT certifications.

- Pseudopath.

racinmason001

racinmason001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
What books or videos if not both did you study with? I'm using the Testout Software and Sybex A+ Complete by David Groth.

Pseudopath

Pseudopath

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Oh and the MCSA/MCSE is definitely a long period of study!
The self study guides are a core of four books with an additional one for the MCSE optional. A total of five or six exams. The MCDST is one book and two exams... The MCSE should take you at least six months of study even more if you don't have a domain to play with. The thing is that apparently the exams are not answer based any more but pratcially based so you have to demonstrate your skills rather than eliminate wrong answers....

- Pseudopath.

Pseudopath

Pseudopath

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

What books or videos if not both did you study with? I'm using the Testout Software and Sybex A+ Complete by David Groth.

I used "A+ Certification" by Mike Meyers & Scott Jernigan but I've also worked in IT for 4 years and been an enraptured Geek for most of my life. I studied for the better part of a year but only every couple of weeks which is why it took me so long to cover the syllabus. And covering that was the key for me, I could elimitante wrong answers easily but "knowing" the answer took time.

- Pseudopath.

racinmason001

racinmason001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
Well according to your advice I think I will study some more and not let my instructor rush me into a test that I don't feel ready for. I dont have a domain to play with and I just started getting into this industry, I was a construction worker for 6 years and got injured thats why I am changing careers. Thanks for all the helpful input!

Pseudopath

Pseudopath

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Glad I could help.

Good luck with the exams when you take them!

Don't forget to let us know how you get on.

- Pseudopath.