Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Overclocking oversight

• Please log in to reply

2deuce2

2deuce2

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Was fiddling with the O/Cing settings of my asus mobo tired the other night, boy what a mistake that was. I forgot to set the PCI clock to stay at 33mHz. So I'm assuming that my PCI cards didn't like it when I cranked up the multiplier on my CPU to 14x. This is all immaterial to my current problem, however, as I'm pretty sure My mobo is dead, but am seeking confirmation from you fine folks.

After resetting the CMOS, she seemed to boot fine, I went into the BIOS and changed my settings back to enable RAID etc... Everything seemed fine, except, now it won't boot past the PCI device listing. It lists my PCI devices and IRQs etc..., but then hangs after displaying the list. Also, the reason I think its the mobo, is that then the data thats already displayed becomes somewhat corrupted, a few letters disapear from the screen, and others half disappear, but it wont boot past this point.

I'm quite certain its not the HDDs, In the boot process prior to the point where it hangs it lists my RAID setup as 'healthy', and all drives appear a-ok in the bios.
I don't think its my psu, as all the voltages from it appear to be fine according to the bios.
I hope its not my VGA card, since it still displays everything up to that point.

So I'm thinking one of 3 things is wrong:
1. Motherboard is dead, I fried the PCI bus. (Is there any way to fix this other than replacement?)
2. Procesor is dead. (Thank god AMD just slashed prices...)
3. PCI cards are causing the error (VGA or sound card)

Thanks much for any help or advice you could offer. I know this isn't an overclockers forum, but hopefully you can help.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Failure to get past the summary screen is a certain indication that due to the overclocking, something on the board hasn't reacted well to the increased frequencies introduced by overclocking.

Having said that, symptoms like this are usually caused by a stick of memory gone bad. Download a copy of MemTest86 and leave it running for a while.

2deuce2

2deuce2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Great, thanks, I'll try that.

2deuce2

2deuce2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Nope, can't boot with Memtest86 either, still hangs after displaying the PCI device listing. Also Refuses to display anything with only one stick of RAM in, both sticks were tried. I think that's because of a QVL issue with this mobo and this RAM. Should get the new mobo today, so I guess I'll find out definitively after I go through the huge pain of swapping everything over to the new mobo.

2deuce2

2deuce2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Oh wait, I wasn't able to boot memtest through the cdrom, but I was able to do it through from a floppy. Running it now, although I dont think its the memory that's the issue. I found another forum through google which referred to my mobo with a similar issue.
That fellow was doing a new install, and couldnt get it to load from the cd, but realized that the mobo didn't like his dvdr for some reason, and it worked fine when he used a different drive as master. This shouldn't be an issue for me, however, as I already have xp installed on a drive. (RAID 0) SO I'm guessing the root of my issue is that windows isn't able to boot from the hdds that it was able to run from before the 'incident'.
I'm guessing that the problem might be with my the onboard sata controller.

2deuce2

2deuce2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Not a RAM error. A boot error. The computer was halting at the acpi pci device listing, for whatever reason disabling optical drives and every hdd except the boot drive allowed the system to boot properly. Still don't know what caused this problem, but thankfully my mobo, cpu, ram and hdds seem ok.

R

racinmason001

racinmason001

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
you probably fried your pci video adapter if you have one installed. Post not getting past the video test is what I see. That tells me its video related

2deuce2

2deuce2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
No, it wasn't getting past the acpi, I think this was actually a boot order issue. I have since got it working, nothing was broken. I have 3 logical drives in this pc, One RAID 0, along with 2 other regular drives. I checked the boot order for hdds in the bios, and it was out of order, but fixing it didn't seem to work. So to get it to boot I unplugged both optical drives and disabled every hdd except the boot drive from the bios. Then the mobo found my boot drive. I don't know why this worked.