Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Installer Error

• Please log in to reply

SParisi

SParisi

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I recently attempted to uninstall/reinstall my Norton Internet Security 2006. I must have picked up a lot of infections during the downtime. I've cleaned out the Spyware, Malware and Virus's but still cannot reload Norton or other programs due to a Windows Installer error. I've visited the Microsoft and Symantec support pages and taken the actions recommened but still cannot reload Installer.

When I run the Windows Installer 3.1 the intallation stops midway, rolls back and then reboots the system.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Steve

Advertisements

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Since this is neither a Comment or Suggestion about the website, I have moved this thread to the Windows XP forum. Please pay attention to which forum you post in so that your help is not delayed.

ScHwErV :whistling:

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You can remove installer 3.1 at add/remove programs in control panel (check "show updates" at the top). After that run windows update. It will check for missing updates and will download 3.1 again. I doubt if the problem is with the installer but give it a try.

SParisi

SParisi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I must not have completely rid my PC of Virus', I'm going through the steps again. When I go to remove the Windows Installer form ADD/REMOVE programs it says I don't have permission, even though I'm logged in as Admin (even in Safe Mode). I can no longer run Microsoft Update, it tells me files required are no longer on my computer, and this message repeats after reinstalling.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
once you can remove windows installer

or maybe you wont need to but heres the download for windows installer

http://www.softwarep...ninstallnt.html

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Malware can corrup files of all sorts. If You suspect that you still have malware in your computer then it would be wise to clean them off. Please use this link to start the cleaning process. After that, if you still have problems, return to this forum to be guided in windows repair.

SParisi

SParisi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Yes, seems like there's still after effects. When I navigate to SECURITY CENTER and FIREWALL on control panel I get the error (ICS Service Could not be started). Also, Spybot Search and Destroy found errors in the registry but could not resolve:
Local Machine\Software\Microsoft\SecurityCenter\Antivirus --and \Firewall

I've noticed a servicer "cidaemon.exe" which may be the virus/malware. Although, I cannot find it when I search to delete it again

Being a newbie to the site, should I repost under another Topic? I was impressed on how much the Spyware removal instructions helped. After following them my computer is running better...just these few lingering items. :-)

Thanks,
Steve

Edited by SParisi, 29 September 2006 - 08:22 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Just fillow the instructions in G2G malware forum into which I guided you. Do all the preliminary steps and post a hijackThis if you still have problems. Post it as a new topic in the malware forum.

SParisi

SParisi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks, I reposted it in the malware forum this morning after taking those steps.
I appreicate your input.

Sincerely,
Steve

Edited by SParisi, 29 September 2006 - 11:38 AM.