Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Annoying Parents

• Please log in to reply

jwardy07

jwardy07

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
Well people, i need faster internet!!!! Parents wont upgrade even if i pay the difference of upgrading, so basically im annoyed n boogied. Now heres a silly question, bearing in mind we only have one telephone line can i buy another ISP and use that whilst parents use the other ISP? Or any other recreamendations or suggestions, i need faster internet!!!!! Im on aol 1mb n want 8mb bad!! Grrr

Thanx
Jamie

Advertisements

jwardy07

jwardy07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Plz anyone?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
just as a question....why would your parents (who would have to sign the contract for the new internet connection...being that you're probably a minor...otherwise you really wouldn't be asking) let you get a completely NEW internet connection to the house (even if you're payiing for it yourself) if they won't upgrade if you agree to pay the difference?

jwardy07

jwardy07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
I duno dsenette, i havnt thought it through, i didnt understand why they wont upgrade even if i payed the difference. N i just went for it n posted. Im so frustrated, internet is soooo slow. Sorry for any inconvience

Jamie

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'm not deriding you or trying to discourage you...just hoping for you to think it through a little...maybe you should have another go at your parents

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Well people, i need faster internet!!!! Parents wont upgrade even if i pay the difference of upgrading, so basically im annoyed n boogied. Now heres a silly question, bearing in mind we only have one telephone line can i buy another ISP and use that whilst parents use the other ISP? Or any other recreamendations or suggestions, i need faster internet!!!!! Im on aol 1mb n want 8mb bad!!

You can only have one broadband account on any one phone line. You can't have multiple broadband accounts on the same line and expect it to work.

Anyway, as its your parents line, and they pay the bills, the final decision rests with them. If they say no, then that's really the end of the matter and if you're really insistant on getting 8Mb broadband on that line, you'll have to be patient, ask nicely, or wait for the prices to fall to a level where the benefits are clear. Otherwise you're just going to be wasting your time.

jwardy07

jwardy07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Thats fair play, just a bit gutted ya know

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
Assuming you are a minor living in your parents house here is the deal:

They run the show. Period. Their house, their rules.

My suggestion is to make a case for the quicker connection and ask them what their objections are, especially since you are willing to pay the difference.

I am going to assume they have a reason and again, unless you can convince them otherwise thats what you have to live with (at least until you are out on your own)...

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
1mbps is perfectly fast for general surfing you wont notice a difference on a faster connection i went from 512 to 2.2 and while downloads were faster browsing was just the same. If you want faster internet to download then thats probably the reason your parents wont let you get faster internet.

Besides if you are a minor how can you afford to pay for a broadband connection every month.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
If one of my kids, who had a job and was responsible about it, wanted to "upgrade" something and pay the difference, I would certainly listen to the reasons why this would be in his best interest. I'm betting your parents have no idea the difference in speed and how that applies to what you are doing on the net...maybe a little education (presented politely and thought out beforehand) would help them understand why the upgrade is important to you.
Good luck,
Johanna