Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

General Stuttering issues with all games

• Please log in to reply

Errorsftl.

Errorsftl.

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Recently I have been getting various stuttering issues in games, computer intensive or not, where games will stutter and slow down for a few seconds (5-6 seconds of stuttering) then continue on fine for a minute or so, then repeat. The games I have been having the most issue with are:
World of Warcraft (Stuttering)
Just Cause (Demo, expect the same for the final release)

And it's gotten really annoying, to the point where I can't play games anymore because the stuttering is so consistent. The copy of windows is fresh (reformatted a week ago). No spyware or adware, none at all. I think I might need to defrag the harddrive, but I want to know what else could be causing it. Anyway here are the specs:

Windows XP5.1 (Build 2600) Service Pack 2
OCZ Overclocking Ram 3-2-3-5? I think those were the timings 2048 MB
CPU :AMD Athlon™ XP 2800+
CPU Speed :2124.9 MHz
Sound card :Realtek AC97 Audio
Video Card:RADEON X850 Series
Motherboard: EPoX EP-8KRAIPRO Socket A (Socket 462) VIA KT880 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

My sneaking suspision is that.. the onboard sound isn't 'playing nice'. I've heard that Realtek onboard sound wasn't that good. I know that I NEVER got such stuttering issues on my last ASUS mobo. Any suggestions?

Advertisements

Errorsftl.

Errorsftl.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Bumpage.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
bumpage? Patience is a virtue. Please keep in mind this is a Volunteer board. We are helping other people and you need to wait your turn.

Not sure why you listed memory timings. If you have over clocked or changed your bios settings to get more speed, reset them back to default.

Even the new onboard sound that comes on the newer system boards don't work as well as they would like. Point is that you can 't beat a add on sound card, especially for games. I would recomend picking up a creative labs sound card.

Also take some canned air and blow out your pc. Powersupply, cpu, gpu, and case fans all need to be cleaned.

Make sure you are running the latest drivers for you video, sound and system board.

Errorsftl.

Errorsftl.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Yeah, sorry about that. I've got a spare sound card around here somewhere, I'll use that for expermimentation later today. I defragmented and updated all of my drivers so far.

Errorsftl.

Errorsftl.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Problem Fixed:
http://www.techsuppo...ad.php?t=118151

No more stuttering, credit thanks to hwm54112 from techsupport.com

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
very nice to hear. Not the first direction I would have leaned toward.

Errorsftl.

Errorsftl.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Yeah, alot of options to consider when errors like these spring about