Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MS OUTLOOK 2003 - TAKES TOO LONG TO UPDATE MESSAGES

• Please log in to reply

regulator

regulator

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
I am having a problem with my newly installed Outlook 2003. I have just converted from using MS Outlook Express to MS Outlook 2003 however, am having a little problem.

In Outlook Express, you are able to get updates of your emails every 1 minute, which I like as I want to know ASAP when I have an email.
In Outlook, I adjusted the send/receive tiime to 1 minute aswell which the computer shows it updates every minute and says completed but, doesn't show the email even if there is an email message in my Hotmail account; it takes ages before it shows on Outlook. I need to manually update Outlook by pressing F9 and then it will show me my new messages. Any ideas on how to fix this problem would be most appreciated! :whistling:

Attached Thumbnails

• untitled.jpg

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Change your email time settings to 5 min. I know many providers who would lock your account for such frequent checks.

Outlook isn't like express. It has a lot more capability and thus it takes just a bit longer to complete its cycle.

regulator

regulator

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thanks for the reply. I have always used 1 min for the duration in Outlook Express so I wouldn't assume they would kick me off the service.

Also, the time taken to receive a message seems ridiculously long considering I haven't setup anything apart from my emails so, it shouldn't really take a long time in the cycle to update my emails.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Outlook is a full corporate mail client and a personal infor mation manager.

outlook express is just a basic email client.

There is nothing wrong with the program. Rather it is your expectations. You have a choice. Adapt your habits to fit the new software or switch back to using express.

Unless there are other issues with the program that demonstrate problems (like error messages for example) then there is little I can do for you.