Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can malware or viruses from an infected PC infect others on a LAN?

• Please log in to reply

cableguy

cableguy

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
I have a small network using a Linksys broadband firewall router and a DSL modem. There are 3 computers one XP Home SP2 and 2 Win98 SE. I use the 4th port on the router to work on other PC's and it seems each time I bring another PC on the network the others start having problems. Is there something I can do to protect the origanal 3 PC's? :whistling:

Edited by cableguy, 28 September 2006 - 07:07 PM.

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
If one PC has a virus on it, I wouldn't connect it to the network. You need to get that cleared up...

Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) then post a hijackthis log in THE MALWARE FORUM forum.
(Posting HiJack This logs in any other forum other than the malware forum is forbidden. If you post an HJT log in any other forum, it will be removed and it will take you longer to get help, so please make sure you only post HJT logs in the malware forum)

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
win98 is very insecure. The only thing you can do is to install a firewall such as zone alarm.

Follow the advice in the malware forum on malware prevention.

here is a good thread for starters: http://www.geekstogo...showtopic=58563

cableguy

cableguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
I will take your advice and install a firewall, didn't think I would need one since the router has a firewall.

The problem I would have with the PC's on my network would go away after they were restarted. I had brought 2 seperate PC's on the network one a couple of weeks ago and another just a few days ago, both were infected with malware and spyware but the 2nd one was the only one with a virus. My computers showed up with the same problems again after the 2nd one was connected to my network.

After following the instructions to cleanup malware, there was very little spyware no viruses and one CWS Aff.Toolband found and removed by CWShreder.

Is it possible that something is happening in the router? It just seems odd that the same problems came back when another infected PC was connected to the network.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
Router has basic firewall protection that runs on the WAN port only. It doesn't actually scan the packets, but rather filters on predfinded principles. It is the first line of defense. Once you bring a system onto your network it bypasses the firewall protection.

From your symtoms I would suspect that it wasn't infecting other systems, but rather it was abusing your internet connection. Spyware often needs to connect to the internet to updated itself, to pull adds, send feedback, all depending on what it was designed to do. CSW (coolwebsearch) in paticular is known to do that.

Malware spreads through a variety of methods. Mostly it stays on the pc that it was installed on. If you bring home pc's to work on for whatever reason or have friends over just make sure you follow basic guidelines.

here is our prevention guide: http://www.geekstogo...;page=How_did_I

here is a good article on firewalls: http://www.pcworld.c...,2/article.html

A general rule is if you find an infected pc, please remove it from the network. Keep the tools to clean it on a usb flash drive or on a cd.

Above all else, please post a highjack this log in the malware forum so that our trained staff can properly evelauate your system. http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html

Thanks,

Starjax

cableguy

cableguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Thanks for the info, I beleive you have answered my questions and I have a better understanding of what I need to do protect my network. Thank you again :whistling: