Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet help

• Please log in to reply

Majmun

Majmun

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I brought my computer from home to work. I want to use it to get online. I unplug the internet connection from the work computer and plug it into my computer, but I can't get online. It doesn't recognize the connection. At home I have dsl, and here it's T1. Both use cat5 cables. What do I need to do to get online here?

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Do you have IT people? They might have some kind of security feature installed which is blocking you, becuase it is not on the allowed list.

Majmun

Majmun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Do you have IT people? They might have some kind of security feature installed which is blocking you, becuase it is not on the allowed list.

I don't know if I do or not. The computer here at work has two cat5 type ports. One looks like a regular one, it has nothing connected in it. The other one has two symbols by it that look like computer monitors, maybe a network symbol? That's where the internet is connected to. It is actually an intranet that we are connected to here at work, but we can access the www. Would that be a reason why my computer can't connect, or something with my computer?

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
With two RJ45 jacks I suspect that your IT guy have one set to interface with the local Intranet at at work and the other is probably disabled. I would look in the device manager and see if the second one is operational. If you have sufficient privileges you should be able to enable the device and use it as a Internet connection at home.

Remember that the PC belongs to your company and as such they have the right to say what you can and can't do with it, so ask before using it for personal things and anything you keep on the computer is considered company property at most institutions.