Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

IE6 hanging?

• Please log in to reply

Gazza82

Gazza82

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Every so often my IE6 stops working ... almost as if the program is hanging waiting for something. Doesn't seen to be related to anything but I once thought it was Windows Update related ...

What is even more unusual is that something it doesn't always affect all the users on my box, just me or one or two.

You start IE and it just sits there .. the little globe rotates but no page details appear .. even for common sites such as google, etc .... but Firefox and Netscape are fine ...

I've cleared the temp internet files, cookies, history, etc but nothing seems to solve it ...

Then one day ... bingo, I get pages appearing again ....

I've scanned my system for viruses, spyware, malwhere, etc and it's clean. I use AVGFree, Spybot, SpywareBlaster, ewido and AdAware plus Malwhere and hijackthis when I see any odd problems. Firewall is XP Pro and network is a Netgear Router with default settings on its firewall feature.

Anyone know what I can look at to see what is stopping IE from working properly but in this erratic manner??? It's broken at the moment ....

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Hi Gazza,

There are a couple of repairs you can try.

1, Download the setup.exe from Microsoft or download the whole thing(Instructions here) and re-install Internet Explorer.
2. If you have a full install disk or an upgrade CD you can go to Start /Run /open=sfc /scannow . this will restore all the system file to original versions and ccan usually fix IE.

Gazza82

Gazza82

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Started working again!! And no, didn't do as silverbeard suggested.

What may have done it was my son downloaded a new version of Flash ... but he was using Firefox at the time ... beats me! I may still try silverbeard's ideas ....