Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help, think problem is mobo

• Please log in to reply

Revengance

Revengance

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I'm trying to put a computer together out of spare parts, which include...

AMD Socket 462 processor
Motherboard with "Compaq s1104" and "KU21912331 UWAVE2" on the board...no real indication of what make/model the board is...
256MB stick 133 RAM

The computer will reboot at random times, when your formatting a drive, installing an OS, or when it's booting. I figure maybe it's the processor or the RAM, went through a few 462 processors and the original AMD I was using is the only one that the motherboard likes. The RAM I know should be fine because it's a brand new stick, even tried using a second new stick to make sure. After it reboots a few times, the video will go out. Usually if you reseat the RAM and reset the CMOS, the computer will work again for awhile, then act up again. Now it won't show video anymore. None of the caps on the board are bulging either...visibly looks good. I've come to think that part of the motherboard is bad, maybe a DIMM slot or something...

Any ideas??

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Compaq MB's have always been kinda dicey. Personally i think its the motherboard. I had one compaq that would spontaneous reboot even if i was in the bios. I stripped that one down for parts rather quickly.

SRX660

Revengance

Revengance

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
When I was looking for drivers before, you cannot find drivers or a manual anywhere on the web for a "s1104"...Compaq boards are sad...

Donarudo

Donarudo

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
If you get a chance to get into Windows again you should try testing out the memory. Wouldn't hurt to try.