Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with Linux Install

• Please log in to reply

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
I have a old CD of linux mandrake and i figured i would give it a try on a new install on a "LifeBook".

Well things didn't go so hot ... I went through the graphical install and went through the whole install but when i restarted the computer after the install the Kernal was missing !?!? So nothing would work. I guess mandrake doesn't have the option of even alt+F2 - F8.

So i said to [bleep] with this flavor of linux ill try another. So i decided to install Fedora Core 5 Text install. I got to about 54% and it asks me for CD 2 and i put it in. The computer during the install freezes when i changed the CD and when it had to read the second CD.

So after trying the only flavors i had in the entire house ( sad collection i know ). I went to the dreaded windows XP.

After formatting the drives in the windows install it copys files from the cd. It would stop at 8%. a dcpdll.dll (i think ).

After being thuroughly pissed at the laptop i stopped.

My asumptions is that it is a hardware issue. But is it a HDD issue or a CD drive issue ?

I'm really at a lost point here any tips would apreciated !

Edited by Mr.Chow, 29 September 2006 - 01:32 PM.

Advertisements

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
Well i got Mandrake to work ... somewhat ...

It wont let me startx though ... It will say the server had a fatal crash !

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Sounds like you might be having some problems with your HDD, you might try running diagnostics most manufacturers make them for their drives just take a look on the net.

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
what would u recomend for a scan ?

It must be able to be burned to a cd ... the laptop has no floppy ...

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Whatever the manufacturer of your hard drive provides most have a utility for use on their own drives that can help detect faults there are others but its usually best to get the one for that make of drive, you can burn them to a bootable cd if there isnt an available iso available there are utilities to do that just google them they are easy to find.

Bartender

Bartender

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Mr. Chow -
I hope you figure out your hardware problem.
You mentioned that you had an "old" Mandrake CD. If you're going to spend your time taking another look at Linux, please try a brand new distro. For example, Ubuntu has made terrific progress between Breezy and Dapper, and probly will again with Eft. I don't know the exact release dates for other user-friendly distro's, such as Mepis, PCLinuxOS, SUSE, etc. but strongly suggest you get your hands on the newest CD's you can.

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
Well its 7.1 and it was just laying around. It was a last resort. I have other flavors i play with, Slax, Fedora Core 5. I have touched ubuntu. I never really liked it. (My opinion)

Thatnx for the tip though !

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Give SimplyMepis 6.0 a try. I've found it excellent. Easy to install with good hardware detection and very stable. It's based on the Ubuntu core with its own character and a good support forum.

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Give SimplyMepis 6.0 a try. I've found it excellent. Easy to install with good hardware detection and very stable. It's based on the Ubuntu core with its own character and a good support forum.

Well hold ur horses for a min fellas. Its a laptop with a possiably bad HDD. I can't get any OS to work on it. I think it is a bad sector on the HDD. But still thank you for the offers haha.

SVDtiger

SVDtiger

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
i could not get mandrake to run either but this was a few years back. i do believe my issue was to do with HDD
also. OR comand line ignorance on my part.

i hope you get yours running. i do believe some distro of Linux is the answer to many of my woes or would that be winwoes :whistling:

highest regards to all, john the blind

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
Well i think there is reason now for mandrake not being around. Although the cd i used worked fine on another computer. I have never had errors with Linux but this one would say "Server Crashed Start-X". The person i was formatting the computer for would not wantt o use command line I know that for sure :whistling: haha