Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

moniter wont come on

• Please log in to reply

shanecam

shanecam

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
I picked up a used computer for my daughter and I hooked it up. When I turn it on the cooling fan comes on and I can open and close the tray for the cd burner but it doesn’t seem to be sending signal to the monitor. I have the monitor turned on and the orange light is on but it doesn’t turn green when I turn the pc on. I tried the monitor from my computer and got the same result. I got an old video card and tried it in my computer to make sure it was good then tried that in the used pc and that didn’t work. I have limited knowledge about this stuff but I do enjoy playing around with it. If anyone can help me figure this out I would really appreciate it. The used pc is an e-machines h2341 AMD athlon2300+ with 128mb ddr ram.

Thanks in advance
Shane

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
If the monitor failed all of these tests, I'm tempted to say that it's dead...

shanecam

shanecam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
not sure what you mean by dead. do you mean mother board? is there any way to test it?

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Well for instance, you said you tried the monitor on a few different computers which work fine with other monitors, but not this particular one. That leads me to believe that the monitor is dead, or broken. Please do correct me if I somehow puzzled the tests you ran.

shanecam

shanecam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I am sorry I didnt do a very good job explaining my problem. the moniter actually works fine when I tried it on my own computer. the problem I have is with the used pc that I got. When I turn it on the cooling fan comes on and I can open and close the tray for the cd burner but it doesn’t seem to be sending signal to the monitor.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Ok, so it works on every computer except this one? It's probably your video card then. I suggest having a look inside... Do you know if you have on-board video or an actual video card? On-board means that it is built into your motherboard, and so you will have no actual card.

shanecam

shanecam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
the used computer that I got had on-board video and that was the first thing I tried, I got an old video card and tried it in my computer to make sure it was good then tried the video card in the used pc and that didn’t work.

shanecam

shanecam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
does anyone have any ideas? is there any way I can narrow down the possibilities?

elmundo

elmundo

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
So have you try the onboard video card
you have two monitors connectors,

shanecam

shanecam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I did test the video card before I tried it in the used pc. the monitor that I got with the used pc does work when I hook it up to my pc. the problem is when I turn on the used pc there doesnt seem to be a signal sent to the monitor.

Advertisements

shanecam

shanecam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I took a 256 meg stick of ram out of my own computer and replaced the one in the used computer but I got the same results cooling fans come on in the pc and I can open and close the cd tray but nothing on the monitor. Should I just give up and take it to a repair shop? I would love to try to figure it out. I am not afraid to open the case but I don’t really know what to look for.

elmundo

elmundo

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
OK
This happen to me
I got a PC with on board the motherboard
then I did buy a ati video card every thing worked fine until I did restore
the pc to an early day. I did have my monitor connected to my new ati video card
when I try to turn it on my monitor did not work
so I disconnect the monitor and I connected it to my factory connector it worked
so I install the ati drivers again
now I had two monitors on my PC
I hoped it work for you

shanecam

shanecam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
thanks for the reply elmundo I tried both the on-board connector and the video card and neither worked I also have no sound

elmundo

elmundo

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
BEEP CODES:

No beep:Short,No power,Bad CPU/MB,Loose Peripherals
One Beep:Everything is normal and Computer POSTED FINE
TwO Beeps:POST/CMOS Error
One long Beep,One Short Beep:Motherboard Problem
One long Beep,two Short Beeps:Video Problem
One long Beep,three Short Beeps:Video Problem
Three Long Beeps:Keyboard Error
Repeated Long Beeps: Memory Error

Continous Hi-Lo Beeps:CPU Overheating

1 short beep
Normal POST - system is ok

2 short beeps POST Error - error code shown on screen
No beep Power supply or system board problem

Continuous beep Power supply, system board, or keyboard problem
Repeating short beeps Power supply or system board problem

1 long, 1 short beep System board problem

1 long, 2 short beeps Display adapter problem (MDA, CGA)

1 long, 3 short beeps Enhanced Graphics Adapter (EGA)

3 long beeps 3270 keyboard card

Edited by elmundo, 01 October 2006 - 08:25 PM.

shanecam

shanecam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I get two beeps when I turn on the power