Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hardware Slow Down Question

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
I have three hard drives. Two I attach at one time, and one I attach by itself when I detach the other two. I want to ask you guys a question. This is probably going to be the stupidest question I've ever asked here. But does having a lot of shortcut icons on your desktop slow your pc down?

I have about 20-30 desktop shortcuts on my pc, and I do this because I hate going to the start panel because I use various programs so often and quick I'm a fast pc user. So anyways when I have my two hard drives attached and I load up the pc it sometimes slows down as if it's refreshing the icons. But when I detach my two fast new hard drives and attach my olddddddd 10gb hard drive it doesn't do this. But I might add that I only have like 15 icons on the old hard drive.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanx

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Generally, icons don't slow you down that much... Perhaps a little... But not enough to really notice I would think. What RPMs do you have on the drives? That makes a difference.