Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building a New PC

• Please log in to reply

SirNight33

SirNight33

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I want to build a new gaming pc from scratch for under $1,000 can anyone tell me if this is possible to do and can anyone reply what i could get for that much? :whistling:

Advertisements

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
A "gaming PC" is typically considered a high end PC with state-of-the-art components. However, it is possible to build a PC that will play games on decent settings for under $1000. I would suggest looking at the AMD AM2 processors and motherboards. It also depends on if you need a monitor, speakers, etc because these peripherals greatly effect the overall price of the system. Give us a little more info and we can help you out better.

SirNight33

SirNight33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I can get this for under 1k can anyone tell me if these would be good specs for a gaming computer?

Motherboard
ASUS
A8R32-MVP Deluxe

Dual ATI Brand X1600 Pro 512mb Video Cards
Dont know how to set them up for crossfire could someone explain?

Processor
AMD ATHLON 64X2 Dual-Core Processor 4200+ Socket 939

Memory
2 GB of RAM Total(Expandable to 4GB)

2 x 250 GB SATA 7200 RPM Hard Drives
MaxLine® Plus II
250 GB SATA-150 8MB Cache
7200 RPM for Mac & PC

Misc
4x 60mm Case Fans with BLUE LEDs
Black ATX Window Case with 550Watt Power Supply
8 x USB 2.0 Plugs

Bartender

Bartender

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
I love it when the power supply is tossed into the "Miscellaneous" category...
You're asking for misery and disappointment if you build a gaming PC with dual everything inside on top of a generic $20 power supply

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
woops post in the wrong topic :whistling:
But bartender is right in some circomstances, however i'd buy your rig, keeping in mind you may need to buy a PSU. Once you buy it run speed fan to check voltages. But under your circomstances i think you'll be fine. With your system, it'll be at about 425W under full load. If you where over 500W then i'd suggest buy a name brand for sure.
James

Edited by james_8970, 01 October 2006 - 06:27 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I wouldnt buy it, the motherboard is an Asus for a start and the AMD boards from them have been very unreliable they have gotten better since the first A8s that gave us a total headache but i still wouldnt buy one. Also dual gfx cards is more often than not a mistake it increases price and power consumption to very little effect on lower resolution systems you are better with a better single card but DX10 isnt that far away either so probably not looking for a very expensive vid card. Also crossfires upcoming generations are going to support retasking of video cards to physics or AI and the original crossfire specifcation of mixing and matching cards.

Also the hard drives are ok but they arent as good as they could be a couple of years old now, you want SATA-II with a 16Mb cache and maxline drives are more expensive anyway and dont do that much more than plain diamondmaxs.