Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Doesn't Turn On When Power Switch Pushed

• Please log in to reply

Bronski

Bronski

• Pip
  • 2 posts
[size=4]Have eMachines T2542 PC that will not turn on when power switch is pushed. Got ac power to input of power supply and power switch is working (checked for continuity at motherboard connection when button is pushed).

Can't determine if motherboard or power supply is malfunctioning. (Both CPU and power supply fans don't run).

Anyone know how I can isolate the problem? It'd also be great if I could find a manual for the motherboard to get more information.

Would greatly appreciate any help.

Bronski

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Quite often the fans will run even tho the motherboard is toast. If nothing starts up at all i would first replace the power supply. I have a e-machine T2642 that got the Mb fried in a storm. In my testing i first installed a thermaltake 430 Watt PS to see if that was the problem. It was not the problem but i now know that standard ATX PS's will fit these cases. I ended up installing a Gigabyte Mb in the case so i could use all the drives, proc, and memory. The MB had to be mini-ATX to fit the case. I also found that the H-L(hitachi-LG) cd-rw is really a piece of junk. An old 24X lite-on is a better burner.

SRX660

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Here is the trick of using a paperclip in the plug of the power suppy to mobo, if you do it in the right two holes the powersuply will turn on, meaning the power supply is working, thus telling one that my problem is the mobo. Of course I disconect the other leads while doing so.

http://www.techarp.c...rtno=268&pgno=0

Edited by fleamailman, 30 September 2006 - 04:32 AM.

Bronski

Bronski

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Tech Staff and 1K,

Thanks for the quick reply. Your advice was most helpful. It turned out that the power supply was toast and it took out the mother board when it went.

According to the techs at a local computer repair shop, this is a common occurence with emachine PCs. When the power supply goes, it usually screws up the mother board also.

Once again, thanks for the help.

Bronski