Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Partitions .. Partition Magic

• Please log in to reply

hardeez1

hardeez1

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Alright here's the deal... I have Windows XP & Vista installed on my laptop.. the XP partition has 65 gigs & Vista has 21. Before I installed Vista I used Partition magic to resize my main partition & create a new 21 gig one to install Vista onto. Now, I'm trying to take some space from the bigger XP partition to put on the Vista one.. but it won't let me. I click on "Redistribute free space" & select the partition I want to redistribute it to, but it tells me that the partition can't be resized. I am doing this while logged in on XP, in case that matters. If anyone can help me I would GREATly appreciate it.. Thanks!!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You can't resize a partition that you're currently working on. In fact this can be potentially dangerous as it carries with it an opportunity to screw up your installations of both XP and Vista.

What you really should do is use Partition Magic outside of Windows - that is, from the command prompt. Therefore if you find your Partition Magic CD (I presume you've been able to use this software before any version of Windows went on the hard drive) it should let you resize the partitions.

hardeez1

hardeez1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hey thanks for the reply. Sounds like a good plan.. could you explain to me how to do that? Like how to use it in the command prompt? Thanks.

duley3

duley3

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
If you don't have your disik. You could take a look at this post . I have never done anything with partitions before and this made it easy. I had a little trouble get the iso but after that it was all good. Just a thought.