Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unwanted malware program installed itself

• Please log in to reply

Yeoman

Yeoman

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
Hi there

I have a minor problem. At the bottom right of my screen alongside my cable login icon, a flashing blue and white question mark in a circle alternates with a red circle and an oblique line. Every now and then an error box flashes up from it and informs me that I have a critical system error in the form of a "parasite program" and that I should fix it by clicking the baloon for the software (their own of course). If I double click the flashing icon, "Virusburst" malware home site loads up, and runs a trial scan. It then asks me to pay for the program to rid myself of this so called virus.

I'm not sure if the error message is my computer referring to the Virusburster as the parasite program, or Virusburster suggesting that I have a problem that only they can fix.

When this first happened, I went into control panel and removed the program which had installed itself. It remains removed, but the error message wont go away and seems to have made a home for itself permanently. Is there any way I can finally get rid of this nuisance? I have Norton Anti-Virus and Spysweeper which I have run a couple of times, and can find no problem.

Regards

:whistling:

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Yeoman!

I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Fenor

hysteria

hysteria

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Hello. I know this is an old topic, but instead of creating a new one I'd like to know if anyone can help me with this. I am having the same problem that was described, and I don't think the last post helped me very much. Does anybody have an idea on how to remove this one?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
hysteria,

Like the last post said:

If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum.

Go to the Malware Forum and post a topic there if you are still having problems.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 18 October 2006 - 03:41 PM.