Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Keyboard Problems

• Please log in to reply

robqx4

robqx4

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I received this Sony Vaio PCV-V200G (All-in-One) PC to fix.
The O/S "XP Home" had crashed and the owner stated that he couldn't get to the recovery partition to fix it so he just wanted it re-installed another way.
Well here comes my problem............
I stick in my "XP Home Edition" CD and proceed to re-install and when I get to
the "Press Enter" to install part the keyboard doesn't work. I tried three!! USB connection "ONLY" no PS2's!!
He never gave me the original "wireless" keyboard that comes with this system
so I'm using 3 spares I have lying around.
By the way, I come to find out the original O/S & "C" drive had been deleted or formated
before I got the system to fix.
Anyway, I need to find out if anyone knows how to get this or any other keyboards
to work????????
I really need to get this system fixed bad and fast!!

Thanks,

Robqx4

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Reset the CMOS (either move a jumper or take out the battery), as most systems that are devoid of PS/2 ports have an option in the BIOS entitled "USB Keyboard Support". As you can probably guess, turning this off is a receipe for disaster and it's shocking to think that Sony probably tell a lot of people that their systems are permantely broken for want of a simple BIOS setting.

In most cases resetting the CMOS loads the default settings which is usually "USB Keyboard Support: Enabled", amongst other things :whistling:

robqx4

robqx4

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks Neil,

Now why didn't I think of that...You da man!!
I'll give it a shot and let you know what happens!

Thanks again!!