Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Bad connectivity after Malware attack

• Please log in to reply

nnickert

nnickert

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Heres the deal. Prior to being infected with Malware I had a very fast connection with no problems downloading or watching streaming media. The problem with the malware has been handled (Thanks to the Malware board), however, now my download speeds are sllllloooooower then ever before and when I attempt to watch streaming media its very bogged down and buffers every 3 seconds. I thought it may have been the wireless connection but I connected thru the lan slot, turned off the wireless, and still had the same problem. Im currently running Windows XP and connected with a fast ADSL. Can anyone please help ?

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Have you tried booting into Safe Mode with Network? Does the problem persist? This would indicate whether or not something you are running is causing the problem.

If the problem is still there reset the Winsocks or re-stack the TCP/IP.

For SP2 go to Start /Run /open=cmd . Type in "netsh winsock reset" (no quotes) and press enter. Restsrt the PC.

For Sp1 go to Start /Run /open=cmd . Type in "netsh int ip reset C:\resetlog.txt" (no quotes) and press enter.

Boot into normal mode and see if that helped.

nnickert

nnickert

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks!

I did this:

For SP2 go to Start /Run /open=cmd . Type in "netsh winsock reset" (no quotes) and press enter. Restsrt the PC

But it didnt help at all. Ive cleared any kind of malwave/spyware, etc so Im relatively sure that isnt the problem. THe only thing I can figure is that some setting somewhere was changed. I noticed the change when I was watching a baseball game on MLB.com. It stopped streaming in the middle of the game and hasnt been the same sense. Ive also rebooted the modem so I dont think thats the problem. What else can we do ?

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Did you reset both the modem and the router for at least 15 seconds?

nnickert

nnickert

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I just reset the wireless adapter and the ethernet adapter along with modem, 15sec each, no help ;(

Edited by nnickert, 30 September 2006 - 01:38 PM.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Since your sure the PC is clean and with the winsocks set to default I would hard reset (push the reset button in and hold it for at least 20 seconds) the modem to factory defaults and re-establish the connection. You might also contact your ISP and see if they are having any issues on their network or if there is a possible wiring issue inside the residence (not likely but things like phones,alarms, and satellite TV can cause problems).

nnickert

nnickert

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I thought about doing that, but Im unsure if I will have to set up the modem to be able to connect wirelessly again (the paper with instuctions has disapeared).

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
It depends on your ISP. If they use PPPoE then you may have to put the modem into bridged Ethernet mode and your router should be set up to be the PPPoE client. If your ISP uses DHCP or MAC it should be pretty much automatic.

nnickert

nnickert

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Update:

What I did was type in the IP address for the router(or something to that effect). I then rebooted the router that way. I found there was an extra IP address accessing my router so I added some feature that makes it so only my computer can access it. After the reboot everything is back and running great. Thanks alot for all the help, helped save my weekend