Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive warning message on boot-up

• Please log in to reply

cartoon

cartoon

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have an e-machines T3092, with a 3000+ AMD Athlon XP processor, 160GB 7200 RPM hard drive, 512 RAM DDR SDRAM. I purchased it new in August 2004, and really haven't had any problems with it until this past summer.

The computer initially started running slower than normal (not always, but occasionally). I did virus and spyware checks, and it always turned up clean.

About 2 months ago, I first received a message upon boot-up which read:

Primary Matter Hard Disk S.M.A.R.T. status bad.
WARNING: Immediate back-up your data and replace your hard disk drive. A failure may be imminent.

Naturally, I was quite concerned. This happened several times on consecutive boots -- and a few of those times, the computer would not boot at all.

After doing a CHKDSK and defragging my HD, everything seemed okay.

A week later, it started doing it again -- for several days in a row. Then it was fine was nearly 5 weeks.

Now, it's started again, on two consecutive boots. It has been booting up after I clicked "continue", but something is not right.

I cannot afford to replace my HD at this time. Most of my essential files are backed up onto several CDs, however, I'd hate to lose my HD.

Is anyone familiar with this problem? Is it something which can be rectified easily? Do I seriously need to consider getting another HD?

Any advice would be most welcomed. Thank you.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. You could try running the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostics program on the hard drive. Go to http://forums.pcper....isplay.php?f=40 There is a sticy post at the top of the forum that has links to most hard drive manufacturer's diagnostics.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Hi cartoon,

If you are getting S.M.A.R.T. errors my experience tells me that the drive is on course to failure. Back up your data and buy a new hard drive.
Ultimate Boot CD has most of the manufacturers diagnostics on it and is a handy tool to have around.

cartoon

cartoon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks, both of you.

How do I find out the manufacturer of my HD to try a diagnostic?

I was hoping I wouldn't have to replace my HD, particularly as I have zero money for this.

Thanks again.

EDIT:

I've found out the manufacturer of my HD, and did the Data Lifeguard check for my HD as suggested above.
The results are...

SMART Status: FAIL
Test Result: PASS

The HD seems to have "passed", but the SMART status has "failed". I don't understand the difference. Should I be concerned? Do I still need a new HD?

Thanks again.

Edited by cartoon, 30 September 2006 - 07:16 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
HD Tune will check any drive

http://www.hdtune.com/

Download and install Everest Home Edition

Run the programme, click + next to computer then summary

Look on the right for system details

cartoon

cartoon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks.

I tried the Everest Home Edition you suggested, and that shows no problems. Yet, when I boot up my computer, I keep getting that same error message (see above), and have to click "F1" to boot up.

As I can't afford a HD, I'm going to have to pray this one holds. When it goes, I will have no computer.

Thanks to everyone for all of the advice. If anyone has any other suggestions, please feel free to chip in.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did HD Tune show anything?

cartoon

cartoon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I just tried the HD Tune thing. Thanks.

The only error that shows up is in the HEALTH program --

01) Raw Read Error Rate
current 200
worst 1
threshold 51
data 0
status failed

Everything else (as far as I can tell), shows "okay".

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Keep on top of backing up any important data in case the drive does give out

For the F1 thing

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD

Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this

Check the anti virus is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

cartoon

cartoon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Okay, I did this.

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Did this also. (I've been doing this often, since the onset of the problem.)

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD

Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

I can't do this, as I don't have an XP CD (nor access to one which I may borrow). The only CD which came with the computer was the emachines restore DVD, and that doesn't work for this. :whistling:

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Am attempting to download this now (I have dial-up. May take a while.)
EDIT: This won't download. I just spent 50 minutes waiting for it to load, and on the final minute of the download, I got a message saying the download was "reset", and it stopped. Not having a good day with this.

Haven't gotten to the other items in the list yet, as I'm trying to do it in order. (Although, I can't do step #3.)

Thanks for the help.

Edited by cartoon, 01 October 2006 - 10:44 AM.

cartoon

cartoon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Okay, I was finally able to successfully download the Tune-up you recommended (and blessed to have it download in half the time that it didn't download, yesterday).

I then followed your directions, on each of the items related to that software. Thank you.

So, the only thing on your list which I could not do, is the SFC/SCANNOW thing (as I don't have an XP CD, or access to one).

Thanks again.

cartoon

cartoon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi. It's getting progressively worse. Yesterday, took 4 attempts to finally boot up. Today - 7 attempts before a successful boot. I'd get an disc error notice, and have to CTRL+ALT+DEL multitudinously before a successful boot.

Every diagnostic test I try "passes" except for the S.M.A.R.T. status. It shows a "Raw Read Error" rate much lower than the threshold. Today it hit the lowest so far -- 1.

I tried eMachines online support. This was the gist of the contact:

EMC says: Okay I have checked my resources and i have found that your hard drives is Broken
I say: Ok.
EMC says: it is due of improper shut downs, Virus and anti spyware
EMC says: spyware**
I say: I have checked for Spyware and Viruses, and shown clean.
EMC says: even though it is a virus clean hard disk it maybe cause of hard disc being corrupted
I say: Can it be fixed?
EMC says: No, You just have to purchase a new one.

Not very encouraging. The computer is only 2 years old (26 months). My last computer lasted over 6 years.
I don't think a HD should be failing this quickly.