Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need Help Please Regarding Dell Power Supply

• Please log in to reply

JK27

JK27

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi,
I just picked up a used Dell Optiplex GX260. The guy that I bought it from put in a stick of ram and plugged it up to his power supply to show me that it would boot up. He said that I would have to buy a hard drive, ram, and new power supply since he could not get it to power up with the one inside of it. Anyway, I would like to run out and purchase a new power supply this evening but want to make sure that any standard ATX power supply would work with this PC.

It currently has: Dell Model# HP-P2507FW, 250Watt power supply, 20 pin and 4 pin.

Also, if I can purchase a regular power supply (not dell brand), will the pc power up without memory and HD so that I at least know that the PS works?

THanks!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The PC will power up without memory but it won't actually do anything.

Regarding the PSU, take it with you. You have to be careful with Dell PSU:

1) The Optiplex GX260 apparently comes in three different flavours: Desktop, and two tower versions with one having the PSU at the top and the other at the bottom. According to images I've seen, the desktop version and the tower version (with the PSU at the bottom of the case) don't use standard size PSUs. The tower variation with the PSU at the top back of the case looks standard size.

2) If the model in question does use a standard size, then be careful of common Dell properitary wiring. Apparently they've stopped this in recent years but there's always exceptions to the rule. A good clue is the colours of the wire if you follow them on the current PSU and the one on the new PSU (before you buy it, obviously), as using a standard PSU on a Dell motherboard that's expecting a butchered Dell PSU is asking for trouble.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I have been reading up on this problem because lately i have had to fix some dell computers. What i have found is that you need to check the motherboard to see if it has this type of connectors for the power supply.

http://www.endpcnois...u=dellconverter

If you MB has these connectors you need either an adapter or a dell PS. I have heard that the wiring on some dells may be different than the standard 20 pin wiring but i have not found one like that yet.

SRX660

JK27

JK27

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Thanks for the info.

My PC is an Optiplex ATX tower with the power supply on the top. The current (broken) PS has a 20-pin and a separate 4-pin connector attached. Mobo has spots for 20 pin and 4 pin.

Does this mean that I'm safe to purchase a different brand PS. If I understood both of you correctly?

Thanks!

Edited by JK27, 30 September 2006 - 03:03 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Heres more reading on the dell PS's. One thing i think you must do is compare the wiring colors between the connectors as Neil has said. Then you will know for sure.

http://members.csolu...ll/casemods.htm

The above really tells you about the front panel connectors on the dell that are not standard for regular motherboards. This does not affect the PS but is another problem you may have to deal with.

Type in dell power supply in the search and you will find 218 forum discussions about them. Read up and learn.

http://www.pcguide.com/search.htm

If you really don't want to mess with this just buy a dell compatable PS here.

http://www.pcpowerco...lector/dell.htm

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 30 September 2006 - 03:46 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Following the colours of the wiring on the 20-pin block connector is the minimum you should do before you pay for a new power supply. This is why I suggest taking the old one with you to compare. The 4-pin extra connector is almost guaranteed to be safe as it provides power to the processor and the processors are standard from Intel.

JK27

JK27

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Thanks to everyone for the input! I've got the PC up and running.

I purchased the Dell Optiplex GX260 at a flea market yesterday for 40.00. It didn't have a HD, or RAM, and the PSU was bad. The guy was selling it because he couldn't remove the BIOS password.

Compatiblility issues were a worry, but here's how it turned out.

Last night, I installed an ANTEC Smartpower 500W PSU (39.99 after rebates Compusa) in my Gateway GT5054. I took the Bestec ATX-30012EB3 300W PSU from my Gateway GT5064 and put in into the Dell Optiplex GX260. The Antec installed smoothly into the Gateway. The only problem I ran into with the Bestec and Dell was that the PSU had a 24 pin connector and the Mobo had 20 pin. I just lined up the pins and let the last 4 hang over.

I installed a 160GB Seagate HD (39.99 after rebates Compusa) in the Dell.

I installed 1 GB PC3200/2700 ram (89.99 after rebates Compusa) in the Dell.

I installed fresh copy of Windows XP Home SP2.

I updated BIOS to A09.

I now seem to have a fully functioning PC THANKS TO ALL YOUR HELP- for my son (5) for Christmas since he loves playing games on mine all the time.

Thanks to everyone!