Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Locked out of MY PICTURES! PLEASE HELP

• Please log in to reply

jamesmcd03

jamesmcd03

• Pip
  • 4 posts
hi everyone this is my situation. When i go to view my mydocuments\mypicutres i get this msg. "c:\documents and settings\administrator\my documents\my picutres is not accessible. Access is denied"
i am the administrator
im running XP pro. I have scanned with various removal tools and nothing works. proporties of the file says 0kbs.

what can i do?? please help

thanks
james

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Press the power button, keep tapping F8 until you get options, choose safe mode, select the administrator account, try to access the folder

jamesmcd03

jamesmcd03

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
ok tried it, same problem :whistling: any other ideas??? Another thing im goign to be reformatting the computer as soon as i get the pictures (thats if i do get them) so i dont care if things are altered as long as i get the pics.

cheers

James

ANY OTHER IDEAS??????!!!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP?

When you access a file or a folder in your system, you may receive an error "Access Denied", which indicates that you don't have permissions to access that folder or the file. The error is seen is after you reinstall Windows XP and try to access your old profile. If you are an Administrator (or Administrator-level User account) and want to access the contents of the folder, you can take ownership of the folder or file.

You must be logged on to the computer with an account which has administrative privileges.

If you use XP Home Edition, start the computer in safe mode and log on with an account that has Administrative rights to have access to the Security tab.

For XP Professional, you need to disable Simple File Sharing in order to see the Security tab.

To disable simple file sharing:

Click Start, click My Computer.

On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, click the View tab.

In the Advanced Settings section, clear the Use simple file sharing (Recommended) check box. Click OK.

To take ownership of a folder:

Right click the folder you want to take ownership of, then click properties.

Click the Security tab and click OK on the security message, (if one appears).

Click Advanced, click the Owner tab.

In the Name list, click your user name, or click Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group.

If you want to take ownership of the contents of that folder, select the Replace owner on sub containers and objects check box.

Click OK, then click Yes when you receive the following message:

You do not have permission to read the contents of directory folder name. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control?

All permissions will be replaced if you press Yes.

where folder name is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of.

Click OK then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and its contents.

To take ownership of a file:

Right click the file you want to take ownership of, then click Properties.

Click the Security tab, click OK on the Security message (if one appears).

Click Advanced, click the Owner tab.

In the Name list, click Administrator, or click the Administrators group, click OK.

The administrator or the Administrators group now owns the file.

jamesmcd03

jamesmcd03

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok we are on the right track! i followed all the steps, and now i can view the folder, all folders and pictures are there. but!! when clicked on it goes into my windows preview viewer and says picture can not be previewed!! all sizeing info and when created info is correct, i think all the pictures are not allowed to be edited or viewed.... because when i rigth click on the pics and click edit i get a error msg saying "access to mydocuments....\james.jpg was denied

we are sooo close, its just teasing me now!!!

thanks for all your help and quick replies

now what??!

cheers
james

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Will it let you copy any of them to another folder

jamesmcd03

jamesmcd03

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
no i get this error msg. cannot copy civic:access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write -protected and that the file is not currently in use. OK

now what???

cheers
james