Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD will not record

• Please log in to reply

poppyal

poppyal

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Hi everybody! I have a Sony DVD RW DW-Q30A. It just started showing blank DVD disks as CD's and therefore it will not record, but it will play DVDs. I am using XP Home SP2. I have reinstalled XP and I have run sfc/scannow, but nothing seems to help. I have tried to go to the SONY site, but they say they do not recognize this model, so I can't get any driver or support. Does anyone have any ideas? I sure could use some help here. Thanz. Al.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
What happens when you try to record to a DVD disc?

poppyal

poppyal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Keith, thanks for the reply. When I try to record to a DVD disc I am told that the media is not right or that there is no disc in the drive. NERO does not recognize the disc (or drive). My Computer shows it as a DVD drive until I put a blank DVD into it and then it shows it as a CD drive. Also, Nero says that the "system ASPI installation is corrupted" but it shows that the "nero ASPI is installed and working properly". Also, a program called "ForceASPI" states that "ASPI is not properly installed. One or more components have been replaced with older versions of the software". I hope this helps. Should I reinstall XP again? THanks for the help. Al.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD

Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this

Check the anti virus is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

poppyal

poppyal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Keith, I have done all that you have suggested - but it hasn't helped. I click on "My Computer" and drive "E" says "DVD-RW Drive". Then I put in a blank DVD disc and it changes to "CD Drive". I've even tried different brands of DVD discs. It will play DVDs but nothing else. I still get the same ASPI errors/messages. I can record CD but not DVD. Any more suggestions? PLEASE? Thanks again. Al.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download and install this

http://www.adaptec.c.../aspi32_exe.htm

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
try going to my computer

on dvd-rw ...right click ...properties....under recording....make sure its checked were it says enable recording on this drive then click ok

poppyal

poppyal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Keith, the address that you gave me states that this download is NOT to be used with Windows XP. Should I do it anyway? I don't want to cause more problems than I already have, but I trust you. Just let me know. Thanks, Al.

rushin1nd, I've already done that, but thanks anyway.

Knight_Wolf

Knight_Wolf

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
how old is ur writer? maybe the lens needs cleaning or sumthin

poppyal

poppyal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Knight Wolf, I used a lens cleaner but it didn't help. I could dis-assemble the unit and clean it that way. Do you think that is necessary?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Sorry about that

Adaptec ASPI v4.71.2

ASPI Driver package for Windows computers, to support third party hardware and software. Includes ASPI drivers version 4.70 for Windows 98, NT 4, Me, 2000 and XP. Also includes ASPICHK version checking utility.

After years of waiting, Adaptec finally gets the official Win2000/XP compliant ASPI out..

http://www.afterdawn..._tools/aspi.cfm

Knight_Wolf

Knight_Wolf

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
well u hav to tell me how old ur drive is....if its more than 1.5 yrs old i suggest u giv it to a service centre for lens cleaning...dont take the drive apart n stuff unless u really knw wat u r doin

poppyal

poppyal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Hi, again. Well, all seems to work now. The "afterdawn" software apparently worked. I still get the "CD Drive" message in My Computer when I put in a blank disc, But Nero recognizes the drive and I can now burn a DVD. Also, Nerq's InfoTool now shows that the System ASPI is installed and working properlt. GREAT JOB, GUYS AND THANKS A BUNCH!!!!!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It may show as a CD drive with a disc in, though it could show the disc as a DVDR

Thank You for letting us know

poppyal

poppyal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Keith, is there anyway I can change that to do what is right, or should I quit while I'm ahead? It would be nice if it was to show correctly. By the way, my burner is about 6/7 months old and not used a whole lot.