Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

What do i need for a network?

• Please log in to reply

demirkol

demirkol

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
I want to connect 4 computers and a printer together. I was wondering what i needed to do this. Also i dont want to spend a lot to do this.

thanks in advance

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Ok, simply put, you need a Modem. I trust you have DSL or some high-speed connection? Also, you will need a router, which will connect everything together. Now this is important... Will the router be wireless or not? Only chosse wireless if the computers are too far away to run an ethernet cable. After that you just setup the host computer, etc. Please give us some more information, and we will try to match you up as best we can.

demirkol

demirkol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
I've got a DSL connection I guess I'll run the router with an ethernet cable what else do you need to know?

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Ok, so now we need to get your router. Something like this would do you nicely. Click here to see it ... Otherwise, are all of the computers Windows XP based?

demirkol

demirkol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Yeah all of the computers have windows XP

demirkol

demirkol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
I know nothing about routers so im going on your word over here

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 667 posts
How you network these computers depends on what you will be doing with them.

A few scenarios would be:
  • Sharing internet connection
  • Sharing files
  • Creating a LAN for gaming
That being said, a router is your best choice all around but in the case of file sharing with 4 computers not entirely necessay and a standard 10/100 hub would suffice (and be considerably cheaper).

This set-up could also be accomplished as far as internet sharing is concerned. You set-up internet connection sharing (ICS) on on system and then connect that system to the hub, setup the other systems to use the ICS system as their internet serive and you have internet on all the systems.

A router is a more effective means of connecting your systems but again, it depends on your budget and what you are trying to accomplish.

demirkol

demirkol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
I want to share files and Have the internet on one computer

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
So you will need a router and not a hub. Especially if you're new to networking.

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 667 posts

So you will need a router and not a hub. Especially if you're new to networking.

I would disagree, if I am understanding him properly.

Sharing files between 4 systems and only having the internet on one would not require a router and honestly wouldn't be easier because you would have to configure the router.

If he wants the other systems to have internet access, then yes, the router is the way to go.

But from what I am gathering it's only to share files between computers in which case a 10/100 hub would more than suffice and would be CONSIDERABLY cheaper. A switch would be preferred over the hub, but a router is not necessary.

All you would have to do in a hub/switch type enviroment is make sure all the systems connect to the hub/switch, set-up all systems in a workgroup enviroment, statically assign all systems the systems a non-routable IP address as such:

PC 1 (w/Internet): 192.168.1.1
PC2: 192.168.1.2
PC3: 192.168.1.3
PC4: 192.168.1.4

Give them all a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and enable appropriate file sharing as necessary (of course you need to ensure you have a firewall enabled on them all regardless of whether or not they are actively connected to the internet because the network itself has a system that IS connected to the internet) and your pc's should all talk to each other.

Again, a router will add extra functionality, but again at a higher cost. If what you stated is your basic requirements a hub or switch will do the job for you quite well. But again, if you are going to connect more than one of these systems to the internet a router would probably be your better choice.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Ah, I see where you're coming from... A good observation :whistling: I would just like to confirm with the user that these computers have no intention of going on the internet in the near future. Sure, the hub would make it work as well, but as we have agreed, the router would be a better choice if they were to one day access the net together.