Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wireless internet connection problem

• Please log in to reply

bjr1000

bjr1000

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Hello all,
I've read a lot on these very informative forums but not being computer savvy I am unable to solve my problem.
I have two laptops at home.
Acer 2410 wireless enabled [brand new]
P/Bell easy one silver not wireless enabled[old] but using Wireles Cardbus adapter 802.11g.

I have a Buffalo Bundle which is connected and configured so I am able to connect wirelessly to the internet with the Acer ..... no problem.
However , I cannot use the P/Bell to browse the internet.

I have set the P/Bell up for wireless.
It shows a ''connected '' message but stops at the''acquiring network address'' stage.

Any ideas please ..much appreciated.

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. Do you have any security settings set for the network such as MAC Address filtering, etc?

bjr1000

bjr1000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
My settings were installed with the aid of the Buffalo helpline via telephone conversation.
To be honest I can't recall what I did at that time.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Ok. Well, they might have assisted you in making some security setting adjustments, which if you're not sure what they are, it's not going to be easy to find out. Was this service free? You should ask them what you did with them if you did not take notes, etc.

bjr1000

bjr1000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Hi again,
Just found out how to obtain router settings.

Mac filtering is not enabled.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
What security settings are enabled?

bjr1000

bjr1000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
The security page has two sections.

Top......Wireless Encryption.
AES enabled

Bottom.....Advanced.
Broadcast SSID enabled.

bjr1000

bjr1000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Hi again,

Seems I've made a little progress with my problem.
Carried out the cmd ipconfig procedure and found there were no numbers in the Subnet mask and Default gateway.

In'' network connections'' properties I manually inserted the appropriate numbers[checked forum for guidance] and the ''aquiring ip address'' message changed to a ''connected'' with very strong signal.

However when I attempt to browse the internet a''cannot find server'' page appears.I tried the instructions on that page without success.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. After taking this up with an advisor, I would like to ask the following questiions, as well as make a suggestion or two... First, we think that there is a possibility that the adapter on the older computer may not be compatable, so we would suggest trying to switch back to WEP. Also, it would be helpful to get the ipconfig /all results from both computers. Lastly, we would like to see you switch back to dhcp on the offending computer. We think by putting in a static ip, you might be able to remove your limited or no connectivity issue, but not actually connect through the router. Also, your wireless card might not be compatible with WPA... If this is the case, we'll try updating drivers, which should fix the issue. We'll take it step by step. Please keep us updated.

(Added a solution at the end)

Edited by Stormknight6, 06 October 2006 - 04:32 PM.

bjr1000

bjr1000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Hi,
Tried changing WEP security but was unsuccessful;unable to then connect both laptops??
Using ethernet connection I changed back to AES security and reconfigured router.

Acer laptop back to normal.
Tried changing network adapter [usb type that came with Buffalo bundle] but couldn't connect to router.
Changed back to Cardbus adapter[slot type] and connected ok but couldn't browse internet.
''page cannot be displayed.......cannot find server'' message with dns error at bottom of page.

Opened network connections and properties.
In the DNS section I manually inserted Primary and Secondary settings and set I/P addressing to automatic and was then able to open the web pages.

sk6 thanks very much for your support.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Hi,
Tried changing WEP security but was unsuccessful;unable to then connect both laptops??
Using ethernet connection I changed back to AES security and reconfigured router.

this is probably because the other laptop is configured to use the wpa security for this connection...you would need to switch that laptop to use wep instead...

Acer laptop back to normal.
Tried changing network adapter [usb type that came with Buffalo bundle] but couldn't connect to router.
Changed back to Cardbus adapter[slot type] and connected ok but couldn't browse internet.
''page cannot be displayed.......cannot find server'' message with dns error at bottom of page.

Opened network connections and properties.
In the DNS section I manually inserted Primary and Secondary settings and set I/P addressing to automatic and was then able to open the web pages.

so once you set the static dns entries (i assume you're also using a static ip address on this connection as well) you were able to connect just fine? do you want to leave it this way or do you want to change anything?

bjr1000

bjr1000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Hi dsenette,

I didn't insert any values in the ip address section;just placed a dot in the automatic balloon.

Both laptops are working wirelessly now and can access the internet at the same time so all is ok.

Thanks.