Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need advice on a video card

• Please log in to reply

sammytexas

sammytexas

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I am thinking about getting a video card but don't know anything about them. Right now my pc has a S3 Graphics ProSavage DDR. I found a ati radeon 9200 128mb for $20 and was wondering if it would be worth it. I'm sure you will need some more info on my pc so just email me what you need and I will check it out. Thanks

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. What kind of games will you be playing?Also, please provide us with your processor speed and RAM. If you don't know how to find it let us know.

sammytexas

sammytexas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I really don't play any games, although I just came across Bowmaster and am addicted to it. I was just thinking that it would help out watching video, alot of videos tend to bog down my pc and play choppy. I also thought it may help with captureing video too. I have Dazzle and have been trying to capture some of my old tapes that are on HI8 but the quality is crap. Here are the specs you asked for, let me know if you need anything else.

Processor: AMD Athlon 1800+ 1.5GHz
RAM: 512Mb

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
If you won't be doing any heavy gaming, etc. then that card sounds fine to me. Just make sure that your new card supports the game before you buy and everything. What card do you have now? Or is it on-board?

sammytexas

sammytexas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
The one I have now is on board. When I run SiSandra it advises me to get a video card to help out with memory.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Ok. No wonder. On board is as basic as you can get. It doesn't provide really any gaming support, they just make it so that you can see the windows graphics, and to keep cost down. This card will help you a lot. 128 MB isn't bad either, so it should play the game no problem, as long as the game doesn't require anything more.

sammytexas

sammytexas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Well, the one I was looking at is sold already. Here's another one, I assume it's the same. Will this one work? http://austin.craigs.../213315303.html

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Yes, that should work, as long as you have available AGP slots. Do you know if you have them? You either have AGP or PCI/PCI-E compatible on the motherboard. If you're not sure, I can try to research it for you, I just need your system manufacturer and system model.

sammytexas

sammytexas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Not to sure on that one. My PC was custom built but I have attached a couple of .txt files that I think came from a SiSandra scan and should have in info you are needing.Attached File  SiSandra_10_28_05_Graphics_Card_Info.txt   4.21KB   83 downloadsAttached File  Mainboard.doc   22.5KB   23 downloads

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Alright, if I'm right, you have AGP available...

Total Memory : 32MB (31MB Video) (48MB AGP)

AGP Capabilities
Version : 2.00
Command Queue Length : 32
Fast-Writes Enabled : No
Side Band Enabled : No
Data Transfer Modes Support : 4x
Current Data Transfer Rate : 4x

Now, one problem. Unless someone else (who knows more about the situation than I) can prove me wrong, then this card might not be compatible... It looks like your AGP slot speed only supports 4X... This card might be a bit faster... I'm going to have to research it... We'll want to check this out before buying.

-------------------------(Edit)-------------------------------------------

Ok, this looks like your card, yes? (Click here)

It's an 8X card... I'm pretty sure that faster cards will adjust speeds, but I'll have to research that as well, becuase I don't want to see you have any problems... I'll get back with you on it. Oh also, Mad Dog and ATI appear to be the same in this case.

-------------------------(Edit)-------------------------------------------
Whoops... Upon further investigation, it says right there in the description that the card is:

AGP 8X (Backward Compatible to 4X)

It looks safe to use :whistling: I'm sure we'll be getting more replies, becuase I just asked a few other members/staff for help lol Now, I think you're all set, unless I'm forgetting anything... Anyone?

Edited by Stormknight6, 02 October 2006 - 12:03 PM.

Advertisements

sammytexas

sammytexas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Great, thanks for all of the help. What was them comment about Mad Dog and ATI? Wasn't sure what you meant about that. Thanks again

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Well it says on that CompUSA link which I gave you that it's a mad Dog card and not ATI, however, from my understanding, Mad Dog is a part of the model. ATI is still the manufacturer, but instead of it being an ATI Radeon 9550, they made it an ATI Mad Dog Multimedia Dominator Radeon 9550. it's just a different name I suppose. If these two cards look the same to you then it looks safe to go for :whistling:

sammytexas

sammytexas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I didn't even see the link. I got it now, thanks for the help

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
The video card will work on your machine.. To teach you something pci express wasnt available on any of the older motherboards with amd chips such as AMD Athlon 1800+ which is your processor.. They are called a socket A processor... No socket A motherboards have pci express because pci express wasnt even invented yet.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
It sounds pretty good then :blink: Let us know if you have any questions, and thanks jrm20 for the extra assistance :whistling: