Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Where did my CDROM go?

• Please log in to reply

Wes2000

Wes2000

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
I Dont know where my CD-ROM went.. I have never had a problem with it before, but now when I put a CD in it the lights come on and it appears to be working, but nothing ever autoplays and there is no link to it in My Computer. I tried to go into control panel and Add Hardware, the first time it showed it but said something about working properly but check the dependancies. I went into services.msc and cant find anything dealing with it, but I enabled like half the stuff there that was even close and it still isnt working. I opened up my comp and made sure all the cables were connected snugly, and no difference. I also thought maybe Daemon Tools affected it somehow (though ive been using it forever) but i disabled all that and no change either.

Any help is appreciated, thanks

Ps- I read that other topic and in my startup it shows the device there, and i tried that cdgone patch with no success.

Advertisements

sammytexas

sammytexas

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
This is too strange. I had the same problem this morning on my laptop. I tried 3 different cdrom's and none worked. I did a system restore and when my computer came back on it was there. I am thinking that the restart alone fixed it, I should have tried it before the restore.

Wes2000

Wes2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Ive restarted several times with no luck, this sucks..

sammytexas

sammytexas

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I also uninstalled and reinstalled Nero, I was using it when the cdrom disappeared. If you were using nero you may try that. Some other info I found when I was searching was to go into the Event Viewer and see if there are any alerts under system. When I checked mine it was clean but the last entry was 2 hours earlier, after I got it fixed I went back to the event viewer and it was FULL of cdrom errors, saying that the cdrom had a "bad block"??

elmundo

elmundo

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Ok go start,PC help and tools, Pc doctor,click storage, Then run a test on
DVD-ROM DRIVE and DVD-RW DRIVE
follow the instructions
I hope this work for you if not please let us know
also if it not work try to istall the drivers

Wes2000

Wes2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
lol where did you find any of that? I dont have anything like that in my start menu

elmundo

elmundo

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
PC Doctor is not on your PC
You need to get it, As I'm not positive it's not a rogue program,I'll not post a link to it. I'm sure someone will give more info on that program. Dr Watson should be there. WHat are you looking to do ? Remove something or install a spyware detection tool?
PC Tools is another program download HERE/ , But it is not free. Post back with a bit more info before you purchase somethng

Wes2000

Wes2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

PC Doctor is not on your PC
You need to get it, As I'm not positive it's not a rogue program,I'll not post a link to it. I'm sure someone will give more info on that program. Dr Watson should be there. WHat are you looking to do ? Remove something or install a spyware detection tool?
PC Tools is another program download HERE/ , But it is not free. Post back with a bit more info before you purchase somethng

Lol im trying to do what you told me to 3 posts up :whistling:

Wes2000

Wes2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
bump