Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant Play Audio

• Please log in to reply

PeterAlevizos

PeterAlevizos

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
hey dudes/dudettes,

just upgraded my 2nd pc form windows 98 to windows xp and have a problem.
When i go to listen to music and open media player the following error message appears:

"cannot playback the audio stream: no audio hardware is available, or the hardware is not responding"

i was wondering if you guys could help me fix that

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. What probably happened was that when you switched operating systems, you lost your drivers. Can you tell me what kind of sound card you have? All you need to do is go to the card manufacturer's website and download drivers for that card model.

PeterAlevizos

PeterAlevizos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
ok, im not sure how i find that out. Is terhe a way which i can find that on my computer.

Thanks for the help

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
No problem. Let's click on Start, and then click on Run. Once the Run box loads, type in:
dxdiag
and press enter. You may see a small gray box appear. Click yes on that. You will now see a larger gray box appear. Click on the Sound tab. Once that loads, look at the top-left of the window. What does it say under "Name:"?

Edited by Stormknight6, 02 October 2006 - 05:45 PM.

PeterAlevizos

PeterAlevizos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
its intel intergrated audio

PeterAlevizos

PeterAlevizos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
thanks for your help

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
hhhhmm... I hate Intel's website lol Do you have a model number you can give me after that?

PeterAlevizos

PeterAlevizos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
i dont know if this means anyhting to you:
Posted Image

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
hhhhmmm... Ok... Sadly, I'm no expert on on-board devices... I'll see if someone else can help you, becuase I don't want to lead you in the wrong direction... :whistling:

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. After taking this up with an advisor, we'll try and see if Intel has these drivers for you. First we need to see what motherboard model you have. Please download and install Everest Home Edition from this link: http://www.filehippo...d_everest_home/ ... Once there, I want you to open it and it should have a little icon for the motherboard in the middle. Let's click on that, and then on the left, you will notice that more options have appeared under Motherboard. Click on the motherboard link under the motherboard category (sorry this is so confusing!). In the middle you will see some more information. What does it say under motherboard properties? Also, here is a quote from Keith (my advisor)...

Intel may say refer to Realtek, so ask them to look at Everest / Computer / Summary - Multimedia / Audio Adapter to see which version of AC97 is installed

Please post back with this information and we'll see what we can do. :whistling:

(Edited for grammar)

Edited by Stormknight6, 03 October 2006 - 05:39 PM.

PeterAlevizos

PeterAlevizos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
ok thanks for you help :whistling:, a friend just updated the drivers by himslef and it worked lol.
Thank again anyway

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Glad to hear it worked :whistling: Where did he get the drivers from?

PeterAlevizos

PeterAlevizos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
he found them on my hardrive somewhere, im not sure where though.
Anyway thanks again

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hm... Alright, enjoy :whistling: