Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Serious Hard Drive Error!

• Please log in to reply

periwinkle

periwinkle

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
The only warning I had about this is one evening I noticed that my screen went black after being away from the computer. The computer was still on - I could see the power light, but nothing on-screen. So, I switched it off at the power strip. This was about 3 nights ago. Then, this evening, I noticed my Firefox had stopped responding, and I decided to restart the computer. I also noticed that the temperature was going up. This happens from time to time, as I live in Arizona where the cold temperature is 87 degrees F. Since Firefox was taking a long time to close, I restarted the computer. Only this time, the computer wouldn't restart.

I get this instead: the big e (for eMachines) shows up, then the screen stays black intead of turning blue to startup. Next, I see this message (there is no C): "\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM you can attempt to repair this file by using the original Windows setup CD ROM". The only disks I have are these Restore CDs from eMachines. I have never had a Windows CD. My computer came out of the box without any Windows CD. The computer came installed with XP. I really really need to get a Windows XP CD, but I'm not sure how to do this. I'm really not sure what's wrong. I will say that it appeared that my hard drive was dying about 9 months ago, but then I cleaned out all the dust bunnies, and then suddenly it was fine. It came back from the brinks of death.

Now, when I insert the Restore CD, it gives me 2 options: 1) to boot from the CD - this doesn't work or 2) to repair the file - this appears to mean that it will erase everything. In fact, it says WARNING!!! in red, that I will lose all files. Neither of these options are doable. I must have my hard drive back. I have some very important files on the computer. I have my vacation pictures from Germany on it - these are not replaceable. I have not backed up in several months. I'm confident I can get this hard drive back. I must. Perhaps the computer just needs to sit and cool off for a bit. I know I need to.

Any ideas of where to start with this? I also thought about cleaning out the computer again. It had some dust bunnies inside it. I have several cats, so that's some of the source of the dust.

Can I clean the circuitry with a cotton ear swab dipped in alcohol? I know the circuitry is very very delicate.

Advertisements

periwinkle

periwinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
One more thing I forgot: It won't start in Safe Mode. I keep getting errors that say to type "r" for repair.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If possible remove your hard disk and install it as a slave on a workable computer. While there, you can do a lot of maintanence work. Start with a disk cleanup. Continue with Defrag. Continue with a good scan with anrimalware programs. My standard cleanup is with Ewido, AVG antispyware, Spybot Search and destroy and Ad-Aware SE. All these programs are free to load. Having done that, run a scan of your disk (My computer > right click on your drive > properties > error checking. Run the two options. It takes sometime)

periwinkle

periwinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Skeptic,

Thanks, I will try those fixes. I know how to remove my hard drive. (In fact I already did). I do have a friend who definitely qualifies as a real-live geek. He also suggested booting from a Linux disk. It does make a short clicking sound like it's trying to read the disk, but then it stops. By short, it's about 2 seconds long. I have already been using everything you suggested (AdAware, Spybot, etc.), except for Ewido. I haven't heard of Ewido. I'll have to Google Ewido. Thanks so much! I'll let you know how it goes.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Is the click sound comes from within hour HD? If yes, that is a bad sign that somethong electromechanic is amiss and the disk is failing. While slaved on the other computer I strongly recommend that you backup your data to another storage device.

periwinkle

periwinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
I don't know where the click sound comes from. I think it's the hard drive. My friend said it was good if it clicked, that it would be possible to save it. We'll try making it a slave. I'm fairly certain that the HD is failing, as it had problems about 9 months ago, too. This time, I'm going to buy a new HD and copy everything over onto the new HD with Norton Ghost.

Hello71

Hello71

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
If it clicks, it means the wiring is good, but something mechanical is broken. So, the standard adage for HDs clicking applies here: IF IT CLICKS, DON'T TRY TO USE IT!