Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

No able to install software or connect to internet sites

• Please log in to reply

landrover

landrover

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi

I have inherited a computer which is acting oddly, and I don't know if it is a problem with Windows Xp or Malware.

When I try to install new software, such as Ewido or PC-Cillin, it starts installing and then just cuts out, i.e. the installation stop and the installation window disappears before the instalation is complete. For some software, like Autoruns, I was able to install it, but when I run it, it does a scan and then disappears before I can read the results. When I connect to the internet (dialup), it starts loading whatever page I am connecting to, but soon the Internet Explorer just disappears and I have toopen it again, which means I can't even to a Trend-Micro Housecall!!!

Is this an OS problem or Malware? I have put a posting on the malware forum in case, but I can't even get Hijackthis to work anyway.

Any suggestions as to how I can get far enough with installations to even check for malware??

thanks
Landrover

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
Sounds just like something malware would do. Let's see if we can spot something before I send you to the malware forum, because it is possible that it is a Windows problem and not malware.

Press CTRL + ALT + DEL so the task manager window appears. Click on the Processes tab if it is not already selected. Now take a screenshot by pressing Print Screen/SysRq on your keyboard. Open Paint (found in Start --> All Programs --> Accessories) and then paste. Save the screenshot as a JPEG and post it in your reply. If necessary, take another screenshot(s) of Task Manager if there is more in the list than what was displayed in the first screen shot. Post all screen shots in your reply.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 02 October 2006 - 07:24 AM.

landrover

landrover

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks Computerwiz

Attached are the 2 screen shots. Even task manager closed down after a few seconds, so it took a few tries with some fancy fingerwork to get the shots in time before task manager disappeared!

Landrover

landrover

landrover

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks Computerwiz

Attached are the 2 screen shots. Even task manager closed down after a few seconds, so it took a few tries with some fancy fingerwork to get the shots in time before task manager disappeared!

Landrover

Attached Thumbnails

• screenshot1.JPG
  • screenshot2.JPG

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
Oh yeah, you got some nasties in there. Open Task Manager again and End Task with the following (if possible):

DevDtct2.exe
b4821.exe
ib4821.exe
wscntfy.exe

And then try your programs and internet and see if they cut out. Let me know, just outta curiosity. :whistling:

After you close those items, whether successful or not, please follow as much of the directions found here as you can. After you get to step 5, if your problem is not resolved, post a HijackThis log in the Malware forum.

Keep in mind, the malware forum is very busy and can take up to 5 days to receive a reply. There is a special forum called The Waiting Room if you've been waiting for 3 or more days. You can put a link to your topic & a short description of your problem and someone will get with you soon.

Because of your situation, you might have to download the anti-virus programs and HijackThis from my first link by using another computer. And then running it on the infected computer while in Safe Mode

Edited by computerwiz12890, 02 October 2006 - 08:02 AM.

landrover

landrover

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks

Much appreciated. Will let you know

Landrover

landrover

landrover

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi again

I tried "end process" in task manager for the exe files your suggested, but it didn't help. wscntfy.exe kept popping back up. However, I can't even be sure I ended them properly, as I just had a few seconds to find each file, one at a time, and end it, before task manager disappeared.

I have posted a message on the malware forum. I have tried some of the steps suggested in the GTG malware tutorial, but I'm prety stuck since I can't install Ewido or even get HijackThis to work! I'll wait for a repsonse from that forum anyway.

Thanks for your help all the same.

Cheers
Landrover