Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Is it time to buy a new computer?

• Please log in to reply

JCastaldi

JCastaldi

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
Windows XP Gateway. Power on, shortly after Windows XP screen appears, it goes to power save mode notification and then the screen is blank. Tried the F8 key to either start in safe mode or go to last time it worked properly, with the same result.

Have tried to reinstall Windows and at the point where the program indicates 25 minutes left for completion of reinstall, it goes to the same power save mode notice and blank screen. I thought I was attempting to repair Windows by using the Windows reinstall program. Looks like I ended up starting a hard drive reformat (done this on prior crashes with this PC). However, this time I never got a warning that I was about to erase the contents of the hard drive. It just took me to the process of reinstalling Windows.

Is it time to get rid of this one? I have a lap top which still connects to the internet through a wireless router hooked up to Gateway. Something must still be alive with the Gateway?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
When using a router, all computers connected to it are independent of each other. So your laptop would still be able to go online even if the Gateway PC was totally dead.

But of course your Gateway is far from dead. I suggest you go into the BIOS setup and disable all power-saving features (save the changes), then have another crack at re-installing Windows. Any power-saving features you want to use can then be setup in Windows.

JCastaldi

JCastaldi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
Thank you. I will try it after work.

JCastaldi

JCastaldi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
Under Power in the Bios Setup, it has ACPI (with no options), then there is "After Power Failure" (which was originally set to "Stay Off") which I changed to "Last State"; the only other options were "Power On". It also lists "Wake On PCI PME" which was originally at "Power Off" which I changed to "Power On." I rebooted with the set up disk again. That did not work. Then I went back and changed the After Power Failure to "Power On" and left the "Wake On PCI PME" to "Power On." That did not work. In both instances, as the reinstall goes from 39 minutes to 25 minutes remaining, it goes into power save mode.

I do not see any other means by which to disable power saving mode.