Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop Background Pixelated

• Please log in to reply

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hello:

This isn't a problem, just something I have a question about really.

At work, I have a picture of my little girl set as the background on my desktop. When Windows is booting up, you can see the picture of her there and it looks fine. Her picture is there, looking good, for a few seconds and then the monitor flickers and the desktop loads with all of my desktop icons and the task bar. Just after the flicker, the picture is somewhat pixelated. Does this sound like a driver problem? I am not having trouble running any of my programs or anything, I'm just wondering why the quality of this picture degrades when Windows finishes loading.

Just checking.

Thanks

Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Ojoshiro

Ojoshiro

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Hey,
is the image being stretched to fit your desktop?
If so, try switching that off (and choose an appropriate colour for the
rest of the background)
You can do this by clicking rightmouse on the desktop, open the [properties] box, go to the [background] tab and set 'Picture display' to 'center'.
(You can set the background colour in the same box, under the [appearance] tab.

Hope that helped. :tazz:

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Ojoshiro:

Yes, I have the image being stretched to fit the desktop. It isn't much of a stretch though.

The part that I'm having trouble understanding is how it can be displayed crystal clear while stretched before the desktop finishes loading.

Just as a test, though, I did uncheck "Stretch" from the display settings and the image looked fine. I've blown it up again as it isn't that much of a difference. I only mention this because I am having trouble understanding what is causing the problem. This isn't the only image that does this. It happens on all images that I stretch to fit the desktop.

They all look fine during the boot and then when the desktop appears, BAM, it goes a little fuzzy.

Thanks for your help thus far.

Ojoshiro

Ojoshiro

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Magus,

The only thing I can think of is that during startup your screen resolution isn't the same as after you login. ( After you login it's a higher resolution ). Which would mean the picture has to be more stretched to fit the desktop.

You could fiddle around with the resolution, see if that works.

Greetings, Ojo.
My pleasure, please do tell me what it was if you discover it, I'm curious now too. :tazz: