Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

several problems

• Please log in to reply

schroedinger

schroedinger

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey guys heres a zinger. hope you can help me...(apologies if this is a possible repost)
:whistling:
I have been having problems with my mcafee security center (anti-v, firewall) (stating my compy is not fully protected and must be FIX'd) So yesterday i uninstalled mcafee, and reinstalled it. (FIX DOESNT WORK) Now for some reason, when I opened my browser (mozilla firefox), my browser shows that my home page is www.google.com.mx GOOGLE MEXICO instead of my normal home page www.google.com. Seeing this, I immediately went to my system restore, and restored my compy to a week from yesterday 9-23. When i did this, i see the same old problem in mcafee saying that my computer is not completely protected, advising i should FIX the problem. AGAIN THIS DOES NOT WORK AND CONTINUES TO SAY THAT MY COMPUTER NEEDS TO BE FIXED. (a side note: whenever I try to reset my homepage back to www.google.com, it continues to set my home page to google mexico). So i try to uninstall and reinstall mcafee again, it uninstalls the security center, av, firewall OK, but after this, there are these UNDEFINED files that also need uninstalling...i hope you know what i mean. anyway it is stuck at this point and doesnt move any further with the uninstall with the progress bar staying midway and not moving. so i stop the uninstall process.

Now heres where it gets strange. I restart my computer. Mcafee is still on my computer. I go to my system restore again, before my system restore screen pulls up, a microsoft outlook 2002 installer box pulls up and asks me to get my cd and install microsoft outlook. Now from what ive read, there are ways to reinstall corrupt files, but unfortunately i cannot find my DELL xp pro cd to reinstall outlook. I cancel all these boxes popping up, and when i finally get to the system restore window, IT IS BLANK. I now go to add/remove programs again, just to see if i can uninstall mcafee again the microsoft outlook install boxes creeps up again, I cancel these things, and now, the mcafee box is blank as well. So obviously this has something to do with IE, and/or microsoft outlook. (from what ive read so far)

All I want to do is uninstall/reinstall mcafee, get my browser homepage set, and get my system restore window back up.

I apologise for the long post but i want to be as thorough as possible. Let me know if you need a hijack this log...

thanks for your help,
:blink:

Advertisements

LouisLeger

LouisLeger

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I suggest you try the manual un-installed posted on the mcaffee site.
http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/
select How do I uninstall virus scan

Ther a file you can donwlaod to help you with the un-install.

I hope this helps.
Regards
Louis

schroedinger

schroedinger

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you for your response Louis. The site asks to go to the mcafee.com folder in program files, and therein lies a folder called APP, you erase specific files, then follow the removal process. Well this APP folder is non existent and I cannot access the mcafee uninstall since it is BLANK when I pull up the uninstall. Oddly enough, I am able to remove other programs. The microsoft outlook 2002 supposedly is not installed or is corrupt. I remember when I had symantec, they had a specific removal tool that you can download. this removed it perfectly (i also had problems removing norton)

Trevor

schroedinger

schroedinger

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
is there anyone out there that can help me???

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
try to reinstall mcaffee because your install mustve failed at some point not allowing the uninstaller to load

so by reinstalling the uninstall should load then try to remove from add/remove programs

make sure you got new antivirus program in place before you uninstall mcaffee

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
now i dont know much about mozilla but with ie i use internet options to set home page so there must some setting options to set your homepage

Edited by rushin1nd, 04 October 2006 - 02:04 PM.