Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

GFX card upgrade?

• Please log in to reply

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
I am not very happy with the x1600pro 512 agp card i got to replace my aiw9800pro. There seems to be no performance improvment at all. I have been looking around and found the AIW x800xt agp for the same price as an x1600 and i have the option of returning my 1600 and getting the x800xt. So i was just wondering if the trade is worth it. I play cod2 and i was just wondering how well the x800xt would perform (cause the x1600 is very crappy, i have to run the game in dx7 ). And does any1 know if my vf900 will fit on the aiw x800xt?

Merci Beaucoup
adios

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You wont see a difference you should try running driver cleaner and reisntalling the drivers, it sounds like either the rest of your system is bottlenecking the card or you have a driver/DX problem.

x800 would probably be a little slower.

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
hmm the rest of my system is perfectly fine, 3.0ghz core, 2 gigs of ram and an antec smart power 2.0. Drivers are all fine clean them on every install. From the benchmarks and reviews it seems that the x800xt has the twice the performance of my x1600 pro. Honestly the x1600 didn't improve a single bit over my old 9800pro.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

hmm the rest of my system is perfectly fine, 3.0ghz core, 2 gigs of ram and an antec smart power 2.0. Drivers are all fine clean them on every install. From the benchmarks and reviews it seems that the x800xt has the twice the performance of my x1600 pro. Honestly the x1600 didn't improve a single bit over my old 9800pro.

Why did you get a x1600pro when you already had a aiw 9800pro?? The x1600pro has half the GB/s (Gigabytes per second) as your old video card has but the only good thing about the x1600pro is that it has more memory on the card... More memory alone doesnt make it a faster card its much more than that.. It has to do with a video cards gpu (Graphical processing unit), memory clock, core clock, speed of the memory like ddr3 for example and the pipelines..

You would of had to of gotten the X1600XT for it to be slightly faster than your old card.. Even that card isnt worth upgrading to from a 9800pro.. It would only be just a hair faster..

Look into the nvidia 7600gt AGP they do make them, you will probably have to order it online somewhere.

7600gt agp without a doubt is alot faster and that is what I would personally get.. A 7600gs is slightly slower but is still faster than a x1600 but you wont be getting the performance that you are looking for..

I know exactly what kind of performance you are looking for you need to get a 7600gt or perhaps a tad faster.

**EDIT**

ps leadtek makes the nvidia 7600gt agp version..

**EDIT**

depending where you live the nvidia 7600gt agp might be more or less than the x800xt.

Edited by jrm20, 03 October 2006 - 07:37 PM.

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
http://www23.tomshar...m...9&chart=197

according to this chart. the 7600gt and the x800xt are identical in performance and both smoke the x1600 by a long long run

T-Unit

T-Unit

• Pip
  • 8 posts
The x1600 is definitely faster than a 9800 Pro, but I agree, not enough to upgrade performance wise. I agree with the above poster, the 7600GT is an awesome card. I've seen it vs the 7800GT and it outperformed it LOL. The 7600GT is a slower version of the 7900 core with less memory and wutnot. I've not seen an AGP version of it myself but they do make a 7800GS which is very fast and AGP based. Apparently its the PCI-E card with some kind of converter to allow an AGP connection. The 7800GS handily outdoes my 6800 Ultra which will undoubtedly destroy ANY 9800 Pro. However, the x800 is a good card but the newer generation cards (7900 and x1800's/X1900's) will toast that thing for sure. My advice in closing is to wait for directX 10 to drop any money on a video card, if you still have AGP like me, our days are numbered before an upgrade is due.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
its too bad that you dont have pci express or the 7600gt would be the beast deal and price to performance ratio..

The agp version of the 7600gt is more than the pci express version so the x800xt would probably be cheaper in most countries..

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The x800xt is ok but its pretty expensive for what it is, the x850 is usually cheaper and to be honest they have disadvantages they are only SM2 and less advanced shader wise than you x1600 and thats not strictly a bad thing they are just as capable if not more so but they arent as well supported in games especially modern ones. While not physically faster than the 9800 you should see better performance with newer titles than the 9800 could have done.

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
ahh well here's the long version of the story. I purchased the aiw 9800 2 and a half years ago at futureshop for 230cdn but the problem was that the card was way too slow for COD2 and lucky for me i had a Product replacement plan and the card died and i got a x1600 for the replacement. And i wasn't too happy with the x1600pro i got so now i have the option of returning it for 230 cdn. The aiw X800xt i ordered was 212 dollars so basically i am getting the card and a 18dollar refund for the 230 dollars i spend 2 and a half years ago. So i am not really spending money here just switching cards, that's all there is to it. I wouldn't spend any money on an agp card with dx10 so close to release date.

T-Unit

T-Unit

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Well in that case, go big I suppose, the x1600 seems like a letdown in comparison to the 7600GT. Wouldn't that be its direct competition?

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
just a quick update, the card arrived today and i installed my vf900 on it and started to overclock it. From the reviews that i've read i was expecting moderate oc capabilities. most sites suggestedd 530/580 from the default 500/500 but for some reason my card was extremely cool idle around 28 and load around 44 celcius and i was able to push it to 560/590 which is way above the clocks for a x850xt pe. So i am extremely happy with this purchase and would recommend it to anybody looking for the last gaming gfx card for their agp system. This thing wrecked the x1600pro in every benchmark i ran, doubling the scores in most cases.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
x850 has other advantages in that it can overclock much faster as well, VF900 is a great cooler though. I would throttle it down trust me i have an x800 and they tend to overclock great when new but lose stability once they are "burned on" so to speak the memory you should be able to keep at that speed i have mine past 600 at times easy its the cores that dont hold clocks to well and if you push it to hard at first it will go lower than it would with a little bit of care.