Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Login Error

• Please log in to reply

2deuce2

2deuce2

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Not too long ago, I decided to password protect my laptop. At the same time I was starting to use this laptop for both work and play, so I decided to make 2 user accounts. Keeping user account 1 for play, and 2 for work, and both password protected. For some reason, however, windows continued to automically log me into account 1, without ever prompting me to choose an account or enter a password. This became a source of annoyance for times when I was at work, I would have to wait for the computer to completely start, then logoff and log back into account 2. So I decided to combine my accounts, and deleted account 1, transferring everything to account 2 since I was now using hte comptuer mosltly for work. But the thing still tries to log into account 1. The regular windows 2000 type login pops up every time I start the machine, prompting me with an error about how it cannot log me into this account. The old username and password clearly saved in the window. After clicking ok, the computer goes to the windows xp, fast user switching type inferface, and allows me to login to account 2, now the only account listed. I've gone through the options in the control panel for user accounts and nothing seems to allow me to prevent the computer from attempting to automatically log me into account 1.

Thanks for any help you could offer with this issue.

R

Advertisements

LouisLeger

LouisLeger

• Pip
  • 2 posts
In Windows xp home
control panel
Change the way user logon and off
Remove check mark from use the welcome screen and the Use fast Uesr Switching.
This will give you the login screen requesting a username and password.
This is a more secure logon process .

I hope this helps I will check with xp pro to see if the settings are different

Regards
Louis