Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell 8400 BSOD on reboot

• Please log in to reply

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
when you power up did you try tapping F8 and try safemode options

Advertisements

stluiewmn

stluiewmn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
F2 F12 F8 and everything in between :blink: Is it toast? If so, can i just go out and buy a hard drive, have someone install and everything will be peachy keen? :whistling:

Attached Thumbnails

• ComputerProb.DigPicOfHardDriveMumboJumbo.jpg
  • cuss.gif

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
well leave decision up to you about replacing hard drive

its a real shame to lose important data those

stluiewmn

stluiewmn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I totally agree...but what else is there to do? I would try anything if there are other options.

I had 53gb of my own music on the 8400, just for starters -- nearly every cd I owned. Course, that's replaceable, as I still have the cds.

But, yes, I'd love to be able to save and not replace. Next step???

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
In looking at the screenshots, your HDD is shown as 160GB (160042MB) and thatit passed the diagnostics.

Try booting back into Recovery Console using the cd and see if there are any partitions recognized.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
ok try this one

unplug your computer from power bar or the wall socket or outlet

hold power button for 30 seconds

open up side panel and see if you have 2 memory cards inside

if you do remove them then switch them around

at the same time unplug and replug you hard drive wire

assemble side panel and plug back in

turn power on see what happens

just maybe one memory stick is no good or blocking something

Edited by rushin1nd, 05 October 2006 - 11:13 AM.

stluiewmn

stluiewmn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi wannabe1 -- I know what you're talking about, because I set up a second partition on this one (Dell 2400) a few years ago, until I did a clean reinstall. I was actually considering that option, but did not see a similar area to try, on the 8400, but I'll check again. Thanks.

Ohhh open it? I'm not that brave yet. lol. But, I may be getting close. : ) Thanks rushin1nd

Edited by stluiewmn, 05 October 2006 - 01:11 PM.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
im not even sure if it will work but it worked for someone else

i want to try that trick on my sisters computer after she was attack by vundo but i didnt get chance she took off to town got it reformatted and they got vundo with new install of norton

so i didnt get the chance to try

stluiewmn

stluiewmn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Sorry for the late reply, but life got in the way. Two nights ago, I searched for another partition, wo luck. Now, this computer (4300 -- which I said above was a 2400) has developed display problems. I am concerned it may be also infected with something, but I've posted about that problem, along with a HiJack this log, in the malware section.

I had taken many more pics with my dig camera, as I tried to search for a separate partition -- and of the screens I received when I attempted to reinstall windows, but now those pictures cannot be seen with my display problems, and until I can get that solved, I won't be able to post my findings here. I am sure the pics will give a little more insight as to the extent of the damage to my hard drive (or not) and I hope to post them soon.

Good grief. I'm sick of problems!!!! sob, sob, sob

|
|
|
v
Thanks Wannabe! Will do.

Edited by stluiewmn, 07 October 2006 - 11:57 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's wait and see what they have to say in Malware before we push foreward from here. The screenshots may, indeed, be helpful.

Advertisements

jlk63

jlk63

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, so... I see this thread is from 2006, but this is the exact same problem I'm having right now! When I try to reboot, I press F8, try to go to safe mode, and then I get this Blue Screen of Death:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, [**Note: it's not, I get it every time!!**] restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

***STOP: 0x0000007b (0xF7943524, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

So... this seems to be the same 0xF7943524 problem that was run into before. I'm sure I must have picked up some virus or another, but I wasn't paying attention to the popups I was getting until it was too late. What happened to this person's computer? Were you able to save it somehow? If so, please let me know!

Please help!! Thanks so much!