Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp installation problems

• Please log in to reply

raiden69

raiden69

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
:whistling: Here`s the scenario.I`m trying to install xp pro on a pc.Boot from cd the blue xp setup screens appears, i select the partition, setup copies over the files and the pc restart.Everything is fine until here.the next step would be for the installation screen to appear and tell me that there is 39 minutes remaining for the installation.Only that does not happen.The xp startup screen appears with the windows logo and the progress bar that runs just once.and then the screen goes blank and the green light on the monitor goes orange and then everything stays like that.

I tried other ram,ide cables xp cd`s

can someone pleae help me?

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If you try to install xp you must format the partition on which you make the installation. Delete the partition, recreate it, format and keep installing. Have you backedup your data beforehand?

raiden69

raiden69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
tried all of that plus i also swapped vidoe cards to no avail.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Looks as if you have a HD or mothrtboard problem (by the way, before installing the XP was this computer working well? Please explain why you decided to reinstall XP). I would do the following:

1: Reset BIOS. Unplug the the power cable from the wall socket or the power supply. Carefully remove the motherboard battery and keep it out for about 20 minutes. Reinstall. You know that BIOS was reset when you see that your clock changed and you gey a checksome error. reset the clock.

2: Depending on the make of your HD download to a floppy, or CD, a bootable diagnostic program from the manufacturer's internet site. Run it to test the HD. Run a complete test anf run a low level format (zeroing all the sectors on the HD). If all goes well try to reinstall XP.

If all the above didn't help, and, as you mentioned before, you tried another XP cd, video card and ram, then I suspect that either the motherboard or the cpu are faulty. Usuall it's the motherboard that fail.